Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar X tonight?

Stu

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity. Where do you guys find this information about Lunar shadow phenomena? I can't make Calsky to show me that.

Edit: just as I asked, I managed to find it :D

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have a note that the Lunar X is visible tonight, 21..36 UT, is that correct? Not sure if that is a start time or a best time to see it.

It is the start time I am sure, but I am observing the moon early to be sure to catch it.

3 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

The X is also starting to form now too. Still early, but X shape clearest seen in 4SE SCT with 10mm EP. ??

Yep, just popped out for a look and it is clearly nearly there. Nice. Using the Alkor at x88, very sharp :) 

Mesmerising 3D spacewalk experience with the binoviewers at 95x. The way that the surface features are really jutting out near terminator is lovely. 

And seeing the X so clearly is a nice bonus.

Murphy's Law, I've just been outside for half an hour, lots of hazy stuff causing problems but reasonable views of the X as it formed here and there. I think it's my first time observing the x and v this year, must check my notes.

I was hoping to image but it was too hazy. I did get a single frame in one of the clearer moments. Packed up and came in 10 mins ago and just looked out, crystal clear. Can't be bothered now though I've got work in the morning.

Here's the pic for anyone who didn't get a view.

59308d78f035e_lunarxandv01-06-17.thumb.png.cdca24ac78f8619d557696c22034a409.png

Beautifully clear here still. A final look at x133 showed the X very nicely. Not sure it is totally formed yet, but that's good enough for me, early start tomorrow.

Enjoy it, anyone who is still out :) 

I'd heard of it before, but didn't know it was going to be visible tonight. Spotted it when I was having a look at the moon just after I set up. It's bright and nicely defined. Clear enough to elicit an expletive too :D

Just seen this thread during a pause for foods. Now the sky is clearing properly I'm going to have a longer session

Just got back in about 20 mins ago. Great views of both the X and the V. Seeing very steady on the moon. Managed to get some shots with the iPhone at the eyepiece, and a video too which shows the X well, and the V floating in and out of view at the top. Very pleased with the results seen as this was my first ever observation of both the X & the V!  ???

IMG_2770.MOV

Archived