Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads Up, Jupiter Looks Busy on Saturday Night..

Fozzie

Just noticed this in respect to satellite events on Jupiter.. My neck of the woods is showing a clear forecast (currently)..

Looks like there will be some good regular action on view for Jupiter, for most of the night. Copied this from the link below..

I = Io = innermost satellite
II = Europa
III = Ganymede

III: Tra start: 3 Jun 2017 21:49
II : Occ start: 3 Jun 2017 23:58
III: Tra end : 4 Jun 2017 0:16
I : Tra start: 4 Jun 2017 1:05
I : Sha start: 4 Jun 2017 2:10
III: Sha start: 4 Jun 2017 2:20
I : Tra end : 4 Jun 2017 3:16
I : Sha end : 4 Jun 2017 4:21
II : Ecl end : 4 Jun 2017 4:34
III: Sha end : 4 Jun 2017 4:37

https://www.projectpluto.com/jevent.htm#jun

Im Assuming here that Tra = Transit, Occ = Occulting, Sha = Shadow, any one fill me in on what Ecl means??

Happy viewing, if we get the chance..

Ta

Fozzie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Michael correctly says Ecl stands for eclipse. This is one of the more interesting of the Jupiter moon phenomena. As the moon comes out of eclipse you first notice a minute faint starlike point of light which gradually blossoms up to full illumination. Quite dramatic.   :icon_biggrin:

Eclipse.. of course that makes perfect sense..  Think I might have seen one of those the other night, without realising.. I thought it was just the encroaching darkness that made the moon "pop" into view, but it might actually have been an eclipse.. must look out for it again..

Good stuff. Only problem is that Jupiter sets at 2.48am so will be very low for any events that are visible.

I note that it is very close to the moon as it sets so that will be worth a look or an image. Looks to be under 1.5 degrees apart whilst still 8 degrees up which might be doable with a good horizon.

On 2017-6-1 at 17:38, Stu said:

Good stuff. Only problem is that Jupiter sets at 2.48am so will be very low for any events that are visible.

I note that it is very close to the moon as it sets so that will be worth a look or an image. Looks to be under 1.5 degrees apart whilst still 8 degrees up which might be doable with a good horizon.

I've just seen this moon/jupiter close pass at dusk.. I'm setting up the 72mm/750eos combo.. should be able to get a good portion of both in frame... albeit with no scale on jupiter but still... nothing to loose their I feel..

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I have a night to myself tonight, other than getting a three year old to sleep!

Hope to have a bit of a go with the C925 tonight.

Snap... I've a 2half year old to get to sleep... although as I've accidentally kept him awake from half6 this morning I rather fancy my chances of being on my tod by half7! 

Sadly so far hopeless here tonight.

The clagg has rolled in with solid grey and continuous sticky drizzle.

The good news is that it is heading North, so anyone unable to observe due to family commitments  around the Plymouth area won't miss anything. ;)

Rich

Likewise here Richard. Forecast was quite good, but it looks pretty murky and feels a bit stormy out there. Don't rate my chances.

Supposed to be clear early so perhaps a little solar....

Just waiting on the last of the whispy stuff to go.. the 72mm ed and 750eos give me almost 3x2 degree so should be more than enough for the close moon/jupiter shot..

20170603_204334.thumb.jpg.d0dffa29177d6baa52c03c210d57f464.jpg

Plan then is to load the starwave up (or maybe the 200p) and get some Luna close ups done..

24 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Just waiting on the last of the whispy stuff to go.. the 72mm ed and 750eos give me almost 3x2 degree so should be more than enough for the close moon/jupiter shot..

20170603_204334.thumb.jpg.d0dffa29177d6baa52c03c210d57f464.jpg

Plan then is to load the starwave up (or maybe the 200p) and get some Luna close ups done..

Excellent, contrary to my previous comment, I've been granted special dispensation to go out but I do have to be up early in the morning for car boot sale and farmers market.

So.... SkySafari tells me that my 70mm frac and the Nikon will fit the both of them in from 00:15. Clear Outside says the weather will be good so I'll be there. Plus, I've just been out observing and imaging the afternoon Moon and the seeing is good too. Will this be one of those evenings when it all comes together? Skeptical? Me? Mmmm.... You never know I might even find some gems at the car boot.

I captured the close pass a little while ago but that was with the 102 and it didn't have all the moon in it so I'm quite looking forward to tonight :)

Clear Skies all.

Nice John... I've just been out trying to frame and no joy... just after midnight you reckon? ***dumb question alert*** are they getting closer now? I thought I'd missed it?

Good timing, just off out to catch the Ganymede transit. Had ten mins with GRS looking lovely just now too. SkySafari says they close on each other until about 01:30 then parting as I recall but 12:15 is when they're close enough for my FOV. Besides they'll be too low for me by 01:30

Enjoy 

5 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Good timing, just off out to catch the Ganymede transit. Had ten mins with GRS looking lovely just now too. SkySafari says they close on each other until about 01:30 then parting as I recall but 12:15 is when they're close enough for my FOV.

Enjoy 

From what I can see, they are 2 deg 44' apart now, and will continue to close up until after Jupiter sets.

They will be just over 1.5 degrees apart at 1.30am with Jupiter at 10 degrees altitude. Should look great!

And I've just remembered project Pluto times are UT aren't they silly me. 

I'll catch GRS moving off the disk then see the Ganymede transit in an hour. ?

I was watching Ganymede thinking their times must have been off for a moment or two until I remembered!

1 hour ago, RichM63 said:

so anyone unable to observe due to family commitments  around the Plymouth area won't miss anything. ;)

You're taking the proverbial Rich. as discussed since my previous comment I'm outside now so you can keep your poxy clouds :p

Archived