SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Light Thimble vs the Double Double....

Stu

.... and GRS

Another lightning observing session tonight, all done and dusted in about half an hour.

Weapon of choice, the TAL Alkor 65mm Light Thimble, mounted on the Vixen GP mount. No power tonight, just using the long slo mo knobs. Despite looking like a small bazooka, it is still so light that the GP handles it beautifully, and it can easily be turned in the Munsen rings I converted it to use to get the eyepiece in a convenient position. My addition of a Rigel finder makes life much easier too.

A quick star test on Regulus near the Moon showed the collimation was a little bit off. Quickly sorted at high power, it now seems spot on. I did notice that if I focused with my left hand (closest to the tube opening), I detected quite strong convection currents caused by the warmth of my hand. Using the other hand, away from the opening this did not occur. One to remember when fine focusing.

On to Jupiter, at 10.00pm GRS was well onto the disc, heading towards transit at 10.27pm. In the 65mm I could see North and South Equatorial belts, with the GRS as a darker bulge in the SEB. Not in your face but quite obvious still. No colour really at this aperture unsurprisingly. North and South polar regions were clear, with some vague texture in places.

The four moons were lovely pin points of light with Ganymede and Europa very close together.

Having read the recent Double Double thread, I thought I would give that a go. This scope gives x33, x88 and x133 and I had to use the highest power to split it clearly. By pulling the eyepiece out of the Barlow as far as it goes, I reckon I can get x150 or perhaps a little more which the scope copes with very well.

The stars in this scope are lovely bullseyes, and the split was clear, blurring when the seeing dropped off. The CD pair were easier, being more equal brightness and slightly further apart. The AB pair still split quite easily when the seeing was good but the slightly fainter mag 6 component was more difficult.

Lastly before the clouds came in, I had a quick look at the moon at x33 and a run down the terminator at high power. Very crisp I must say. Highlights were the Haemus mountains projecting out into the blackness, and crater Alexander.

So, you don't need much time, or a big aperture scope, or even for it to be dark in order to have a little fun out there. Enjoy!

Nice wee report Stu. Did plan to look at GRS last night after watching a movie. Just got set up outside with my Celestron 120mm f8 frac' to view it and the clouds rolled in earlier than expected, so went to bed instead. I did have a great session viewing Jupiter the previous night, with some great detail in the belts very obvious, but no GRS at that time until earlier in the morning, so didn't stay up for that showing either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Belated congratulations on this report, it's nice to read about successful ventures!  Jupiter is helping fill the gaps as we get close to summer solstice.  These nights are terribly short :)  

Looked up this scope and it certainly is an interesting setup.  Enjoy!

That double double never disappoints unless its raining, and I took it in last time I was out. At 100x I get a definite split if I recall. 

Archived