Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Resizing a fits file?

Gasman

Hi folks

I have a library of bias and dark fits files all size 1391 x 1039 pixels taken using Windows software. Last night I used a new version of Ekos with my Linux laptop and all the flats and lights have come out at 1392 x 1040 pixels and my spectroscopy software has spit its dummy out and doesn`t like the size differences, is there anyway of resizing either the darks and bias or the flats and lights to the same size please?.

Failing that I`ll have to make another library of darks/bias using Ekos.

cheers

Steve

If you can work out which edges the extra row and column is on you can crop your new frames. You might be able to do this by looking at  a hot pixel.

In the long run new calibration frames will make life simpler.

You may get issues that the cropped files are at a higher bit depth after the crop depending on the software you use but if you save in the original format you should be fine. 

Regards Andrew 

You can use ImageJ (open source) to do any kind of manipulation on fits.

But in this particular case not sure if it will work - I mean it will work but will the result be satisfactory. There are couple of approaches:

1. Actually resize the image - best done if bias / darks were resized by Windows software

2. Given that bias / darks have single column / row removed from top or bottom / left or right side - you need to establish if this is the cause of wrong size (my bet is on this option) you can

a ) just insert blank row/column

b ) copy adjacent row/column to missing one

Worst option is to mix the two - image was resized and you add column/row, or vice versa, column/row was removed and you resize image.

HTH

Archived