Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

App(s) and sites to know what to look for

So, I'm getting to grips with the equipment. My solar filter just arrived, now all I need is some sunshine (hello, England, my old friend...).

I'm happy locating the usual planetary suspects, but what I seem to be missing is some source of information to tell me what to look for on a specific day, in the region where I am. I seem to remember one of the app I've got on the phone came up with a pop up at some point (either SkyMap or the Celestron app, can't remember). But since I'm now using StarSense instead of the app to control the scope, doesn't have to be anything more complicated than a list of names I can input into StarSense.

Basically feels like I'm missing some important software tools, here. And some knowledge, of course.

Just now, Kherlis said:

Thanks ! I've seen your list on the sticky topic as well, would like to check those out.

Can I assume I can open them in SkySafari, or do I need SkyTools ?

They can be imported straight into SkySafari. There's no need for SkyTools to get those into the app.

However, if you have SkyTools I could always add those versions for you.

@Kherlis If you do get SkySafari and want a particular observing list, it's possible to import from within the app from an online repository. However, should there be anything of particular interest, that isn't in their database of lists you can create your own within the app...

It doesn't need SkyTools to create lists. That's just another way of doing things that I use...

9 minutes ago, Kherlis said:

@Racey

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I'll get SkySafari and have a go at importing those.

And if you need anymore, send me a PM. There's a chance I may have already created a list that you could adapt without having to go through the laborious process.

I've done many for me and @Mrs Racey and can easily email from SkyTools in SkySafari format... :thumbsup:

You want a book. Which book is you decision, I use the Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath and Tirion. Until you stand there and look up and identify the constellations then identify where the assorted objects should be - maybe try with binoculars to see anything - you will make little advance. Can you identify Hercules and where M13 and M92 should be? M13 you can make out in binoculars.

I can sit here and pull up Stellarion, pick out 4 or 5 globular clusters but I still eventually have to go outside, and work out where to look.

Do not think an app will solve your problems, you are likely to end up swinging the phone/tablet and app around hoping that something appears on the screen as you pass through an area of sky. It does not seem to work like that. I have Sky Safari 5+ and it is good, but I find I use it as a reference for information. Kind of the big red star near Saturn is Antares, it is a red giant (obvious) and is 550 Ly from earth. In effect I use it as a reference book, great at outreach.

Usually you can decide on a constellation to search through (Monthly Sky Guide is good for this), Auriga is fair, or a type of object, Galaxies, Planetry nebuls, Globular clusters, double stars. For objects then a search of the internet is likely the best start. Try The Astronomy League, they have Observing then Programs in their top menu bar, under that are many observing programs.

Archived