Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filters

Hello All , I have just purchased a pair of Celestron Skymaster 25x70  and tripod. Could anyone tell me if it's possible to buy filters

for Solar and Lunar viewing. I have these for the scope , but not to sure for bino's. Thanks in advance for any advice Jacqui

Make your own solar filters from Baader astro-solar film. Use masking tape to fix them to the binos so they don't fall off. You don't really need lunar as your eyes will adjust but, if you do decide to filter it, try #29 Dark Red (also useful for Venus in daylight). I use on eon my scope; much better than a ND.

Binoculars like yours aren't designed for use with filters - ready-made ones tend to be pricey. Hence make your own solar filters (objective end only!), but you can put a standard 1.25" filter between your eye and the eyepiece lens (squeeze the eyecup a bit to hold it in place) - it's a  bit "kludgy", and you'll rarely feel the need to do it. About the only one I ever use is a UHC (helps a bit with planetary nebulas), but very infrequently.

Archived