Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galaxy blues with CLS and UHC filters..

It has taken me ages to work it out but I have discovered that using uhc or cls filters give my galaxies a pinkish colour and any blues i pick up when imaging without filters are absent when using them. 

Does anyone know of any processing tips to regain the blues or should i just image without and reduce sub length and/or ISO. I have tried altering colour balance and boosting colours but those blues seem well hidden or missing entiely.

I use a dslr (modded) for imaging. As i said, the modded camera without filters is ok but as soon as i add a filter the blues go...

All workrounds and solutions gratefully received!

I recommend not using any filters except for the UV/IR blocker. 

I attempted to image galaxies through a Neodumium filter and a LPR filter, thinking that LP cut would allow longer sub exposures and would enable me to capture more faint galactic glow, but the opposite was the case.. actually I end up with better images of galaxies just using the UV/IR filter with shorted exposed subs but more subs stacked.

15 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

uhc or cls filters

Hi. Yeah, same here. They're too strong to be able to colour balance and cut off galaxy light wavelengths anyway. I went back to using a moon and skyglow; almost neutral colour balance out of the box whilst still removing the light pollution mush.

May I also offer the article impossibility of colour balancing with a filter?

HTH.

yes the filter will make your images take on a red tinge. 

I take 'luminance' with the filter in place at a high ish ISO, I then convert the image to mono and process it accordingly. This will get me my contrast. 

I then gather colour data separately without the filter in place at a lower ISO and blend the two images together using photoshop. 

So it essentially takes twice the time to do but you get your result. I have never managed a satisfactory color balance for galaxies with the filter in place and trying to process it out. Maybe if I had Pixinsight it could fix it???? With dynamic background extraction...Not too sure though. 

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

So it essentially takes twice the time to do but you get your result. I have never managed a satisfactory color balance for galaxies with the filter in place and trying to process it out. Maybe if I had Pixinsight it could fix it???? With dynamic background extraction...Not too sure though. 

I'm no expert but I use DBE in the LE version. It does a great job with gradients but doesn't really affect colours or colour balance, not by design anyway ! (it sometimes messes up colour balance but it is easy to change it in PS). 

Archived