SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium - select star by galactic coordinates

Hi,

is there any way to select stars in Stellarium (I'm currently using 0.15.2 version) by its galactic coordinates? 

If it's possible, I need to select the stars that are as nearest as possible to the galactic equator and at 0º, 90º, 180º and 270º longitude (and 0º latitude). 

Thank you for advance

HI, 

I tried to do what you want by going to the sesrch menu,  then clicking on position and then choose galactic,  but after we enter the coordinates it just centers the screen on it. 

I guess the easiest way is to go the sky and view,  markings,   choose galactic grid,(you may want to uncheck equatorial grid to avoid too much things showing on the screeen) mark galactic equator, then do a search like mentioned above and select the stars near it  by hand.

7 hours ago, Atreta said:

I guess the easiest way is to go the sky and view,  markings,   choose galactic grid,(you may want to uncheck equatorial grid to avoid too much things showing on the screeen) mark galactic equator, then do a search like mentioned above and select the stars near it  by hand.

HI Treta, this is the way I was working currently, but I found it not very exact... Thanks anyway

Maybe I should submit as a request for the next Stellarium version or update...

That would be a nice feature.  

To be more accurate you may use ocular view after you choose the stsr near the coordinates you want.  This way will show plenty stars near the regiion. 

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do.

But I recently learned how enter RA and DEC settings by copy and pasting them from The Sky Live into Stellarium slew control (The telescope icon on the bottom).

Then click 'Slew to' and away it goes.

I've gotten really excellent results doing that.

1 hour ago, alexwolf said:

Are you tried the enable visibility of galactic grid and use zooming to solve the task?

Yes. It was the first approach to select the nearest star to this galactic coordinates. But it'll be very useful to have a tool or something to select a star by coordinates.

3 hours ago, SonnyE said:

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do.

But I recently learned how enter RA and DEC settings by copy and pasting them from The Sky Live into Stellarium slew control (The telescope icon on the bottom).

Then click 'Slew to' and away it goes.

I've gotten really excellent results doing that.

Hi SoonyE,

the telescope icon from the bottom isn't for changing the type of mount from equatorial to azimuthal and backwards? 

9 hours ago, izubiaurre said:

Hi SoonyE,

the telescope icon from the bottom isn't for changing the type of mount from equatorial to azimuthal and backwards? 

No, no it isn't for EQ/AZ, that is toward the left in that lower menu.

The Telescope Icon is for telescope control. When Stellarium is used to control the mount, allowing to select a star or object, then slew to it. When Stellarium is used for control, in that window there is a place to enter RA and DEC coordinates for direct slewing to those coordinates.

I fairly strictly run in EQ mode. But occasionally I do use the EQ or AZ grid display.

OK, I see where the confusion lays... you are referring to the first Telescope Icon (#11 from the left.), while I am referring to the second telescope Icon (# 20 from the left.). Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe more clarity could be found here.

I went into the Left window of user options, Configuration window (The spanner wrench symbol), then under the i (Information tab), in the Displayed fields, right column, make sure Galactic coordinates is checked. Check it if not. Then restart Stellarium and see if it helped.

Sometimes the devil is in the details, and I mention this from my own struggles getting Stellarium tweaked into what I have now. Why just yesterday, Cosmic Geoff helped me update my catalog of Comets. So my own use of Stellarium is still evolving, you see.

I'm still using Stellarium 0.15.0 version as I prefer it. But then, I preferred classic Windows to the end.

We are a bit like chickens. If we keep pecking at something, pretty soon we got all of it. Or at least our fill... :wink2:

I'm not using Stellarium as a telescope controller, only for calculations purposes. (using Stellarium 0.15.2 and all the stars DB downloaded).

As you can see in the attached image, I've found a pretty close star to the point I was looking, but there's no name for the star, so I cannot get the proper motions and so on for my calculations. Even the other stars in the view have no name. Any idea how I can get the name for certain stars and the look in Symbad or another online star DB. 

90-0 galactice coord.jpg

Well, I guess not. I, too, have my Stellarium as loaded as is practical for me at this point. All Star databases.

I did find a java script converter, took your coordinates, and got in the area with Stellarium. But mine took me to a void in Stellarium.

So I think what you are seeking, I'm not finding. I do know there are a lot of stars out there that have not been named, or cataloged.

Perhaps that is what you have come across? Maybe the above converter can be of help?

• 3 months later...
On ‎2017‎/‎09‎/‎25 at 07:55, alexwolf said:

I have a workaround for you: you can put an custom "objects" in the place with some galactic coordinates and use them for selection.

Never thought of that. But, how I can do that? I mean, create some custom objects and put on selected coordinates for testing.

9 hours ago, izubiaurre said:

Never thought of that. But, how I can do that? I mean, create some custom objects and put on selected coordinates for testing.

Just try press Shift button and click left button of mouse on the sky. Some details available in Help window (F1).

P.S. We might add scripting method for add/remove custom objects by galactic coordinates.

Archived