Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zoom eyepiece in the post :-)

Pig

Hiya all,
After reading many reviews I have decided to get another zoom eyepiece, I used to have the Leica Vario and was most impressed with the sharp views it delivered, the lunar views were particularly stunning.
So after placing an add in ABS to trade my 17mm Ethos for something of a similar pedigree I was offered the Lieca ASPH 25 x 50, from the reviews I have read I believe this zoom delivers similarly impressive views as the Vario but with quite an increase in the FOV.  
As soon as I get the chance I will write a review of the zoom's pros and cons that I experience, all I have to do now is wait for it to arrive and to get some decent weather of course :happy8:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Dave,
I used to use my old Vario for solar and it was on par with the 9mm SLV,  I would imagine the magnification on the ASPH will be way too high for use with the Quark as personally I have found anything under 25mm a bit soft, but hey, never say never :happy8: I believe Gerry has some great views with the Quark at higher mags.

1 minute ago, disciplus55 said:

Oh, then I know where you get it from, I am about to get an Ethos 17 :-D !!

regards from France ;-)

Hey that's very good news at least we both know its genuine :happy8:

Don't think you'll regret it Shaun. I haven't used the Vario but the ASPH should be a  real step up - and not just in fov. Closest comparison is Delos range - I'm shortly selling my 3 Delos for this very reason. You'll have read that the ASPH is incredibly sharp for solar, and it's also a fantastic travel companion. Will be interested to hear your thoughts once you've tried the new EP out.

52 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you Dave,
I used to use my old Vario for solar and it was on par with the 9mm SLV,  I would imagine the magnification on the ASPH will be way too high for use with the Quark as personally I have found anything under 25mm a bit soft, but hey, never say never :happy8: I believe Gerry has some great views with the Quark at higher mags.

I use it in the Lunt LS60 :grin:

Dave

15 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Plus you've already got the Baader VIP! Barlow of choice for the discerning modern LZ* owner.

(* acronym for your new eyepiece on CN.)

Yes Mark, that is rather fortunate :happy8: a complete coincidence. 

Lol....Yes I just checked the Zoom and it says it is in France ...... don't you just love & hate the suspense of waiting ? :-)

Its strange how postage varies so much,  I purchased an item from the USA last week and it was on my doorstep in 3 days !!!!

16 minutes ago, Pig said:

Its strange how postage varies so much,  I purchased an item from the USA last week and it was on my doorstep in 3 days !!!!

I recently bought an item from a seller 100 miles away from me here in Texas.  It took 5 days for the package to go all the way to Dallas and then to my town via the postal service.  This added about 500 miles to its journey.  It was still better than driving 200 miles round trip to pick up the item in person, though.

13 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I recently bought an item from a seller 100 miles away from me here in Texas.  It took 5 days for the package to go all the way to Dallas and then to my town via the postal service.  This added about 500 miles to its journey.  It was still better than driving 200 miles round trip to pick up the item in person, though.

Yes its pretty crazy the mileage a simple parcel can travel :happy8: even within the outstanding 3 day delivery of my parcel its journey was - USA - UK - D -UK and then finally to me :happy6:

In 2012 my family sent me a parcel from Italy to Newcastle (UK).. It arrived after 4 weeks! 

It arrived in London and, there for some reason it was sent to Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. Over there, a good soul figured out the issue and sent the parcel back to London. Finally, from London it was sent to Newcastle. 

I still remember the face of the secretary in my institute when she took it in my office! The Sicilian biscuits inside where still in a good shape, although a bit old! The parcel box looked as if it went to war! 

We had a birthday card arrive after taking 3 months to get from Michigan to Texas (about 1500 miles).  It was so badly destroyed that the post office put it in a clear baggy so it could make it through their machines.  It looked to have been munched by a machine and was then probably fished out while clearing a jam.  No apologies were enclosed.

Well great news, the Leica and accessories have just arrived and they are in tip top condition. Fortunately it didn't take 3 months and 1,500 miles :happy8:

Glad it's arrived safely. Just one small piece of advice: be gentle with the twist up eyeguard. There have been a couple of reports of it breaking if roughly handled (though Leica will repair it - customer service is apparently excellent). Can't understand why anyone would mishandle such a precious piece of kit. Upsets me to even think of it ?

Thank you Mark, I do remember reading this in past comments. I believe both Gerry & Stu had breakages :happy8: mind you they are two very heavy handed thugs :happy8: :happy6:

I guess I had better apologise in advance ... !!!!

48 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Glad it's arrived safely. Just one small piece of advice: be gentle with the twist up eyeguard. There have been a couple of reports of it breaking if roughly handled (though Leica will repair it - customer service is apparently excellent). Can't understand why anyone would mishandle such a precious piece of kit. Upsets me to even think of it ?

Oi, steady on! ;);) 

The guard on mine broke, not through any mishandling, it just broke. I suspect that it was during putting the lens cap on or removing it. My advice would be to always ensure you fully squeeze the two buttons which release it before removing or replacing it, as a precaution.

Replaced under warranty with no problems.

Archived