SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gingercat's Roll Off Roof Observatory

chrisblaylock

I used what looks to be a similar diameter air duct tube for my pier (although much longer). I wish I'd thought of using self-levelling compound for the top; mine is a bit of a mess. Although most of it will be covered with the mount adapter, it's still nice to get a neat finish.

Looking really good, and pleased to see your carpet survived the concreting!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have to buy some of that.  Not for the observatory, mind.  The bottom step of our cellar stairs is a cast concrete block and not level, so I want to level it out before covering it with some decent flooring.  I've only been able to find it in large bags with far more coverage than I need, but for £10 perhaps I shan't be too fussy about having a load left over.

James

It works really well - even the dregs I poured into a bucket outside in the rain (followed by a frosty night) survived and levelled quite well.

Carpet just needs some mud washing out thankfully :) It is pretty robust stuff.

Today's progress - cut the floor panels to fit round the pier (leaving a gap), got the trim carpet ready for gluing to the pier base, but will hold off that in case I decide to  run some power/data cables in some ducting attached to it first.  Have temporarily added the pier lift and mount, pending a clear night.  Once I'm happy with the alignment, I'll get the wooden pier adapter fabricated in aluminium.

20190119_165030.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chrisblaylock said:

20190204_201004.jpg

Looks absolutely spot on and very professional, it could be a bought one !!!  but as impressive is that ironing chair in the background lol i have the same one ? great aren't they ?

On 04/02/2019 at 23:20, LeeRich said:

Looks absolutely spot on and very professional, it could be a bought one !!!  but as impressive is that ironing chair in the background lol i have the same one ? great aren't they ?

Yup - the chair certainly beats (or at least matches) the more expensive options!

Archived