Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gingercat's Roll Off Roof Observatory

chrisblaylock

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, don't think my knees will take much more lugging around of timber!  Actually, it was pretty easy to build, and would likely be easier for others assuming they don't need to build in a confined space like I've had to do, which meant pre-fabbing and cladding all the walls, then moving them into position.

Insulation and timber for door arriving tomorrow, then it is pretty much done.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got tired of kicking the tripod legs and misaligning the scope, so I'm finally making use of the hatch I added during construction to dig a nice big hole ready for a pier.  Managed to snap up a pair of Alpha Colonne lifting columns on eBay - one will be used, with one spare.  The hole is going to be about 3ft x 3ft of concrete, with a smaller concrete column then projecting up a further 3ft or so on which to mount the alpha.  Just trying to decide whether attach the mount rotated at a 30 degree angle on top of the column, which means the column can be aligned with the observatory, but the mount aligned with north, or just have the whole lot facing north.  In theory it shouldn't make any operational difference.

20181125_120832.jpg

20181229_131949.jpg

Wow that column looks awesome. I assume they are very rigid - might have to look into them.

If it was me I would align the column with the obsy, and offset the mount but personal preference I think.

Fantastic build btw, first time I have come across this thread. The lining is a nice touch.

Thanks!  The column does seem very rigid, and there are set screws that can be used to tighten over time if necessary.

I think I will go with offsetting the mount on the column, it'll look a bit better and make it easier to stick a padded frame around the remaining hole.

Missed this first time around.  A very neat little build.  Completely unexpected use for the carpeting to line the inside, too :)  Was that just because you had it lying about?  I don't think I've seen it used before.

James

Just now, JamesF said:

Missed this first time around.  A very neat little build.  Completely unexpected use for the carpeting to line the inside, too :)  Was that just because you had it lying about?  I don't think I've seen it used before.

James

A friend of mine has just done this exact same thing to his warm room. Looks great and adds a depth of cozyness lol

Wished I done this now instead of wallpapering ?

39 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

Can't remember how I decided on the stretch carpeting now, but I'm glad I went for it - makes it a much cosier pace to be, you can lean on the walls and not feel cold.  I suspect I decided it'd be good to keep condensation down.

28 minutes ago, chrisblaylock said:

Never too late - just fixed on with spray glue :)

hahaha yer it is VERY tempting but if you had seen the lengths i went to to get mine wallpapered and painted i aint about to cover it up just yet lol ;)

But never say never :p

20 hours ago, Astrokev said:

I think aligning the pier with your observatory would be more aesthetically pleasing. 

Looking good. 

being a bit OCD about things looking right I'm with @Astrokev, why not make the adapter plate round, it would look better in my opinion.

Love the pier if it has no play it will be ideal.

Been figuring out how high the concrete part of the pier needs to be above floor level to both allow the roof to close, and to allow me to see as near to the horizon as possible if ever needed (despite the poor seeing it would provide).  38cm seems to be the sweet spot (with an additional 30cm below the floor before it gets to the main concrete block).  Dark grey is concrete pier, grey the alpha column, blue the bit of the mount that lies below the scope in a horizontal position, light orange the scope when horizontal, dark orange additional height added by the finder etc.

image.png.2b35fc8a571361393e14a11158557161.png

It may be worth considering whether being able to close the roof without lowering the OTA is more important than a view to the horizon.  Though obviously your pier does give you the choice of not lifting the OTA above the wall height if you're concerned that the roof might need to be closed in a hurry, which is a rare luxury.

James

Hi James,

I can get the scope even lower if needed by rotating to raise the weights higher, and the OTA lower, which buys me a little more leeway.  The main limiting factor is the handle on the (apex) roof.  I think this will be achievable in the mid position too, which is hopefully where most viewing will be done (more comfortable).

Ta,

Chris.

Archived