Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_galaxies.thumb.jpg.d7ac9ec2b53bebbaffa8a76a92120303.jpg

Guy Wells

Potentially Hazardous Asteroid 2017 CS

Guy Wells    244

2017 CS is an Apollo-type potentially hazardous asteroid with a diameter of 360-800 metres, seen here moving at 24 "/min over a 25 minute period.

This asteroid is currently very bright at 13th magnitude.

2017 CS.gif

Edited by Guy Wells
  • Like 5

EWHB    26

I will keep an eye out for this... I will have a look and see if there is any information on the NASA NEO website.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

nightfisher    6,894

Is that hazardous as in possible earth impacter 

Guy Wells    244

2017 CS is not a possible impactor. It is a PHA because its Minimum Orbit Intersection Distance (MOID) with the Earth is less than 0.05 au

2017 CS is curently at closest approach. 0.02 AU (2991957km)

Edited by Guy Wells

Dave In Vermont    4,928

You might be interested in a free subscription to the Daily Minor Planet. And the IAU Minor Planet Center is open to the public to peruse and read. Here's a link:

http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/daily-minor-planet

Have a nice Minor-Panic delivered to your email everyday!

Dave

592c0b6d5490c_Minor-PlanetCommittee.png.d03b4b18db8c9049339157f2ccc59878.png

Edited by Dave In Vermont
  • Like 4

Guy Wells    244

When we plan the observatories schedule we use a variety of sources to determine what asteroids need data to reduce their orbital uncertainties.
The asteroid in that link is at very low declination so impossible from our location.

Edited by Guy Wells
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Guy Wells
      On March 31, 2018 issue of the Minor Planet Circular, the asteroid previously known as 2001 HQ16 was named.

(72834) Guywells is a Main belt asteroid with a diameter of 3-6 km. It last came to opposition in February 2018 when it reached 18th magnitude. Now it is moving through the constellation Cancer, observable  at mag +19.5.

(72834) Guywells was discovered by L Ball, in 2001.

• By Hallingskies
      A GIF animation of 322 x3 second frames showing NEO 3200 Pheathon during its close approach in December last year. It's taken me a while to get around to putting this together...

Frames were taken during the early evening of December 14th 2017 between 18.11.06 UT and 19.44.57 UT as the object crossed the Perseus/ Andromeda border.  The field is just under a degree wide.  What I think is a sporadic meteor crosses the field about a second in.  I could not find a satellite ID for that time and region, nor do I think it is a Geminind as it seem to come from the wrong radiant.
      Any comments or observations welcome.
    • By VilleM
      Hi, after almost 2 months of clouds there was finally a clear night in sight. I made most of it, imaging until clouds rolled in about 4 in the morning.
      I shot these using two telescopes at Taurus Hill Observatory. Its fun to operate two at the same time, luckily its possible from indoors.
      Ill also attach here light curve of variable star V0416 UMa that I made during the same night with C14 and SBIG ST-8 on Paramount ME mark II. Other images are taken with 16" f/8 Meade SCT and SBIG STT8300M on Paramount ME mark I. Im expecially happy with Dembowska, I tried to get complete light curve twice in 2017 but clouds or fog always ruined my photometry.

Milkyway was also beautiful as always, I spent some time outdoors just looking at it while telescopes clicked more subs. Worth every second in the cold, windy night!

• By Tim
      I've been following somebody on Facebook who regularly images asteroids, and indeed has identified a few of his own.
      But this got me to wondering, do these orbiting bodies, of which there must be many thousands, all reach the same kind of velocity?
      I guess there are various factors involved. This new asteroid from another galaxy is also intriguing.
      For what it is worth, here are a couple that I have observed in the past:

• By orion25
      The Kingsmen are at it again! And this time, they've been ordered to chase down the rapidly moving interstellar asteroid 'Oumuamua to make analyses and to make sure it doesn't collide with any of the planets in our solar system. It includes images from the ESO, NASA/JPL-Caltech, Pan-STARRS1, and the University of Wisconsin. I wrote the storyline, did the character and spaceship illustrations, performed the voice characterizations, created the AfterFX space animations, and composed the music (as The False Dawn).I hope you enjoy this little adventure!

The Kingsmen, excelsior!
      Reggie