Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

Guy Wells    217

2017 CS is an Apollo-type potentially hazardous asteroid with a diameter of 360-800 metres, seen here moving at 24 "/min over a 25 minute period.

This asteroid is currently very bright at 13th magnitude.

2017 CS.gif

Edited by Guy Wells
  • Like 5

EWHB    19

I will keep an eye out for this... I will have a look and see if there is any information on the NASA NEO website.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

nightfisher    6,459

Is that hazardous as in possible earth impacter 

Guy Wells    217

2017 CS is not a possible impactor. It is a PHA because its Minimum Orbit Intersection Distance (MOID) with the Earth is less than 0.05 au

2017 CS is curently at closest approach. 0.02 AU (2991957km)

Edited by Guy Wells

Dave In Vermont    4,639

You might be interested in a free subscription to the Daily Minor Planet. And the IAU Minor Planet Center is open to the public to peruse and read. Here's a link:

http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/daily-minor-planet

Have a nice Minor-Panic delivered to your email everyday!

Dave

592c0b6d5490c_Minor-PlanetCommittee.png.d03b4b18db8c9049339157f2ccc59878.png

Edited by Dave In Vermont
  • Like 4

Guy Wells    217

When we plan the observatories schedule we use a variety of sources to determine what asteroids need data to reduce their orbital uncertainties.
The asteroid in that link is at very low declination so impossible from our location.

Edited by Guy Wells
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AKB
      Despite the forecast that it would clear in the late evening, it didn't happen (typically) until I had packed up and gone indoors, well after midnight.  So I tried to make the best of it looking fairly low to the south to find Florence, and there she was! 
      Here's a stack of 108 x 6s subs starting at around 23:39 in the evening, and an animation made from every fifth shot (I can't seem to flip it the right way around, sorry.)  As well as clouds there was (of course) a passing satellite...

C9.25 Hyperstar with SX Ultrastar camera and Explore Scientific UHC filter.
      Animated GIF made online at http://gifmaker.me/
    • By Guy Wells
      Near Earth asteroid (3122) Florence
      (3122) Florence is an Amor-type potentially hazardous asteroid with a diameter of 4.9 km. It will make a close approach to Earth on September 1st, at a distance of 0.05 AU (7.1 million km). During the close approach it brightens to 8.5 mag and becomes visible in small telescopes for several nights.
      Florence is the largest asteroid to pass this close to Earth since the first Near Earth asteroids were discovered over a century ago.

• By BinocularSky
      NEO Asteroid 3122 Florence should become visible in binoculars next week. It will pass at 18.4 LD (0.047 AU, 7 million km) at 12:06 UT on 2017 September 01. The magnitude predictions are uncertain, but although it may be near the limit of visibility for smaller binoculars, it should be relatively easy in 70mm or larger apertures at least until the Moon begins to interfere at the beginning of September.
      The asteroid, which has a diameter somewhere between 4 and 9 km (we should know this more precisely after this pass) is named for Florence Nightingale and will not pass this close again for another 50 years. Although it is classified as a PHA (potentially hazardous asteroid) it will not become an impact threat at least for the next few centuries.
      Chart generated with Guide v9.1.

• By A budding astronomer
      You look to the South on a crystal clear night and spot Scorpius and Sagittarius gleaming above the horizon. Probably some of the best observable night sky objects are within these fine constellations. My 4.5 inch reflector was ready to go at 12 AM on Sunday morning, I aligned the stars Altair and Dubhe in the two star alignment feature on its GoTo mount . I was thinking of either imaging Saturn and Jupiter. But I chose to observe some of the dazzling and interesting objects in Sagittarius.
      I slewed my telescope to M25 first. a beautiful open cluster in the top part of Sagittarius' border. My next target was the fantastic Sagittarius Star Cloud or M24, an object I have been longing to see! All the objects had a dusty glow to them and since it was in the top part of the constellations boundary. Atmospheric haze did not affect it, after that. I decided to check out the stars that make the "Teapot" asterism in Sagittarius. I went through all that I could see from Ireland. I could see all the stars other than Kaus Australis .
      Following my adventure in Sagittarius I decided to move my way up the Milky Way into Scutum the shield. I observed the famous Wild Duck cluster in my highest magnification and what a sight it was! But, as I was browsing Stellarium for other interesting objects in Scutum I found something cool indeed. What was it? It was the asteroid Juno! Juno was and is currently magnitude +9.9 near the Wild Duck cluster. I star hopped my way using Stellarium as a map. And I found it within a few minutes. It may not of looked the part but hey, in astronomy one of the main things you must understand. It's not about what it looks like, it's what it represents.
      With that I decided it was time to go in as it was 1:30AM.
      Thank you for reading! Clear skies to all
      Adam
    • By Guy Wells
      6063 Jason is an Apollo-type asteroid with a diameter of 1.4 km. It will came relatively close to Earth on May 27, when it is reached mag. +13.6.
      Jason can be seen here moving at 19 "/min over a period of 20 minutes.