SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moonlite focuser price

Ive been considering upgrading the focuser on my 11" celestron SCT, having become well and truely fed up with the mirror slop when imaging. I'd like the option to use my focal reducer - I dont use it much now but can see it becoming more useful in the future if I ever get bored of planetary imaging.

So clearly Ive been pricing things up and noticed a very large price differential between FLO and the rother valley optics website [RVO]. Is there a reason for this? Im fairly certain these are the same items yet on FLO it retails at £359 and on RVO at £244 - Im assuming im missing something and would be grateful of people on here could assist!

cheers guys,

David

@Jessun: Moonlites compatibility with a focal reducer on an SCT is wy I'm opting for that manufacturer. What might my other options be and what were the issues you faced?

@lightbucket: I think I selected the correct flange in the drop down (3.25" celestron tall large) - price is £244

My issue was that the drawtubes had play in them. Each focuser has 6 adjustment screws, leaving me with 18 to fight with. It's also a Crayford design and just not up to the task for any low f-ratio scope in my brief experience. The stepper motor control software was also substandard. The assembly focuser-motor was somewhat agricultural in its design as well.

/Jesper

38 minutes ago, Jessun said:

I ran three Moonlites on a triple rig and they were my biggest problem....

/Jesper

I have one as well and it's big on 'pretty' and poor on grip. There are far better focusers.

Olly

Archived