Narrowband

Member Contributed Observing lists (and links to others)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For a friend, I have worked for a skylist for the Rose Catalogue

You could load here: http://www.faintfuzzies.com/DownloadableObservingGuides2.html

pdf file: http://www.faintfuzzies.com/Files/RoseCatalogue v2.pdf

I copy the site description: " The Rose catalogue of compact galaxies - Dr James 1.Rose wrote a paper discussing a smal selection of 33 northern and 5 southern very compact galaxy groups for large telescopes. This list is considered to be a bit more challenging than the Hickson Galaxy Groups"

These objects are not referenced in planetarium, Hence I use SIMBAD query in order to locate the nearest object available in the planetarium. In the .txt file, I indicate the coordinate of the Rose object and the object selected in the skylist. I expect that someone could be interested by this list too.

The skylist file & its csv:

Kaelig_rose_catalog.skylist Kaelig_rose_catalog.csv Rose_catalogue.txt

Hello everyboy, as you know, I am a french Astram for several 10 years. I have start Visual Assisted with Camera, this summer.

I work with an another colleague Ouki in order to share a maximum of skylist in french forum (because there is a very big lack).

So I have created a skylist library, do not hesitate to look for (language is french but the skylist are international):

http://astronomie-va.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1345&sid=80bd52b84f6e129cb26253454a77d053

Do not hesitate to write a comment on our forum when you visit us.

@Armand Popa If you speak a little french language (There is a lot Romanian people that speak our language, it's amazing), you could join (english language is also available).

Do not hesitate to download a maximum of our skylist, there are here for that. I am working for a flat galaxy based on the faintfuzzies.com documents.

Edited by kaelig
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Some months ago I mentioned to Jasonb that I was writing in a notebook a list of Moore Winter Marathon objects with a note of the page they appeared on in Turn Left at  Orion,  their Messier number and the  Caldwell catalogue number . He said being a computer guy, if he was doing it, and if he had time, he would make a database (or was it spreadsheet ? I still am fuzzy on which is what ... 🙂  )

Then , a week or so ago, while idly researching  eye pieces I can't  afford , I came across Don Pensack's very useful set of information here

https://www.eyepiecesetc.com/INFORMATIONAL_ARTICLES_ABOUT_ASTRONOMY_AND_TELESCOPES_s/1828.htm

and , ooh, what's this ?!  A beginner's list of 500 DSOs , which Mr Pensack says are ' the 500 best DSOs, as seen in a 4" refractor and 5" Maksutov in modestly dark skies over a couple of years.'

https://www.eyepiecesetc.com/500_Best_Deep_Sky_Objects_p/five-hundred-best-dsos.htm

I can't resist a free list :evil4: , and recalling our earlier conversation mentioned the list to Jasonb as a possible base for adding Turn Left At Orion page numbers etc to. He was enthusiastic and had the tech skills and software to set things up,  I had some spare time to play at data entry clerk, and we have between us compiled into Don's excellent original 500 some extra information, with added columns for the MWM (Moore Winter Marathon) Caldwell list, Loughton List and page numbers for Turn Left at Orion .  There's also a column where we have noted if the object may be too low in the sky for us to see from Ireland/UK  An explanation of the original column meanings can be found here :

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/472872-500-best-dso-list/?p=8418052

The file works on whatever (proper) software Jasonb uses, but also on my free  'Open Office' , so  everyone should be able to use it.

I can't guarantee our input is complete or error free ( I can now add data entry clerk to the giant list of jobs for which I would be severely unsuited ... ) but we thought it might be useful for other  folk , so after  checking with Don, and getting his OK, here it is :

Pensack 500 Version 1.3.ods

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I can't guarantee our input is complete or error free ( I can now add data entry clerk to the giant list of jobs for which I would be severely unsuited ... ) but we thought it might be useful for other  folk , so after  checking with Don, and getting his OK, here it is :

Pensack 500 Version 1.3.ods 81.23 kB · 2 downloads

Please let us know if you spot any errors that Heather might have made! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

All joking aside, Heather has definitely exaggerated the work I did (which was mainly me saying "yes, that's a good idea") *and* my technical knowledge, while taking little credit for all the effort she put into it! It is a great list that Don compiled and it's nice to share it with everyone here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very cool. Thanks, both of you!

It works OK for me in Open Office, although slightly glitchy when scrolling down – the numbers blur into each other. But it soon appears to realise, and sorts itself out.

Now if only there was a column ranking for "easiest to see in Bortle-9" ...

• Like 2