Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

wolfgang_haeussler

Calibration frames for planetary imaging with a CCD

I'm new to planetary imaging and struggling with recording of calibration frames.

How do I take calibration frames (bias, dark and flat-field) with a monochrome CCD (DMK) used with a filter wheel, do I have to record a video in AVI- / SER-file format or just a single image (in which format)?

Wolfgang

Calibration frames are not normally used for planetary imaging, I certainly never use them.  Because of the small size of the sensor in planetary cameras vignetting is not normally an issue so flat frames have little benefit.   Plus due to the short exposure time dark frames are of little use.  Basically do bother with calibration frames for planetary imaging would be my advice.

However, flat frames can remove dust spots from a capture so it is best to never say never.

I am not sure whether Autostakkert! accepts calibration files directly, but PIPP will accept them if not.  For calibration frames, a short capture in the same format as your image capture would be the way to go.   I would also advise capturing all you data in SER format, but AVI will also work is you insist on using an ancient, over-complicated format.

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ACross
      Hi All, I am posting what I suspect is a newbie mistake question but hoping that someone can assist with the issue of flats.
      Although I have been fumbling around the sky, taking snaps at leisure, recently I became serious.  I have read up about the different calibration files (flats, darks, bias) and they seemed to make sense; different ways to capture the image defects and extract those from the image of the sky. After a few weeks (months) of further fumbling I went back to the very first target to receive my attention, M42 Orion Nebula.
      In short, I took 20x 30s exposures in LRGB  and ran these along with 20x LRGB each of darks, bias and flats. To obtain the flats I used a diffuse sheet of perspex (lightbox material) and an LED video lamp that has 180 white LEDs, turned to its lowest setting. Attached below is the stacked Luminance flat and the light image. In the lights I am getting very strong marks from dust and I had thought that the flats would subtract this but looking at the flats the marks are completely different shapes and do nothing to remove them from the lights.
      The attached has been further stretched to show the issue. Now, I am obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea what, any pointers from the vast pool of knowledge will be much appreciated.
      Thanks, Anthony

• By astrosathya
      Hi Everyone,
      I have been trying to connect my QHY FW2 to APT and even though it establishes connection, I am unable to rotate the wheel with the software. No clue whats happening.  The wheel is powered, connected to CCD and APT. But nothing after that. Someone please help
    • By Sunshine
      I have no idea how this stacks up to other cameras, but I figured I’d post this new camera from Meade for those imagers out there.
      https://www.meade.com/accessories/cameras/deep-sky-imager-dsi-iv/deep-sky-imager-iv-dsi-iv-color.html
    • By stevebeukema
      Hi all,
      First post here, and I'm pretty new to AP, just picked up a Star Adventurer mount a couple months ago and have been happily playing around with it with DSLR and various lenses and a 72mm Sky-Watcher refractor.  I'm new to the whole setup process, and I'm trying to do a decent job of leveling the tripod/mount, polar alignment, and I should probably think more about balancing the weight of things.  I've gotten some decent shots, like 60-120 second subs with up to 300mm lens.  My last time out I was getting star trails at 200mm and 15 second exposures, which could have been just a sloppy polar alignment, but today out of curiosity I looked through the polar scope and rotated the RA axis 360 degrees, and I saw that the target circle jumped a few times.  I'm guessing that the target circle should appear not to move while the numbers 3, 6, 9, 12 would rotate around as I rotate the RA axis.  So my guess is that the polar scope would need to be calibrated?
    • By astronomer2002
      I have an old StarlightXpress Frame store that hasn't been used for years.
      After the order from "on-high" to de-clutter I was going to take it to the skip along with other old astro stuff, but thought I'd just check to see if it was working.
      It appears to work fine so if any use can be found for it I would rather donate it to someone than take it to the skip.
      For those not familiar with the SX original Framestore it is self contained and only needed a PC to save images. To do that there was rudimentary software and a card to insert into the PC.  Of course, being the late 1990's it was designed for use with Windows 98. To save images would require an old desktop with Windowa 98 or maybe Windows 2000 on it.
      However, for taking short or long exposure images and displaying them on a screen no PC is needed.  I did use it at a star party to do just that. Showing a group of people objects they couldn't see well, if at all, through the scope directly collected quite a crowd.
      In the spirit of reducing landfill, if it can be of any use to anyone who is prepared to collect it from Maidenhead I will happily give it away.
      I attach images of the setup taken last week.
      Ian B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.