Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

B.A.A. Lunar Map

1 hour ago, Bizibilder said:

A useful basic map - but be aware that there are some inaccuracies in the plotting (although to be fair Peter Grego was a renowned Lunar observer and recorder).  Have you seen the "Virtual Moon Atlas"?  Well worth a download!  http://www.ap-i.net/avl/en/start

I am afraid that I am going to have to disagree with you on this. This is the most up to date map that I can find, Virtual Moon Atlas is not that great - software wise. So, unless, you can find me a better map, in JPEG format?

+1 for the lunar field atlas, it's loosely based on Rukl's Lunar Atlas which to many is the essential Lunar atlas.

Also the 'Photographic Moon Book' by Alan Chu http://cityastronomy.com/moonbook-mirror.htm is worth a look.

I agree VMA isn't too good, it doesn't plot shadows very well so doesn't present a great view of the terminator.

And I have to say I'm with Roger on the accuracy of the Grego map, I love his sketches but as for accuracy on this one, I'm not too sure.  

I imported a section into the lunar terminator visualisation tool, calibrated it on the centre of Newton(top) and Pitatus(bottom) then had LTVT label some features for me.

As you can see it's off, cartographically speaking. Look at Schiller, Maginus, Hainzel.

I don't mean to do a disservice to Peter Grego, as Roger said he was outstanding (look at the Philip's Moon observers guide by Grego for example) but if you're looking for an observing guide, accuracy is key, especially on the terminator and this isn't quite accurate. It's a nice piece of work though and better than I'll ever probably do!!!

grego.jpg.3c68204f3ac7180e994e27dafa6e1fee.jpg

Archived