Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkySafari Observation Lists

I've downloaded SkySafari Plus and am finding it exceptionally useful. 

I've also started to build my own Observing Lists. While doing so I found the option to download observing lists through the app from lists already online. 

Now, my question to "power users" like @Stu and others is "Might there be any other source of existing SkySafari Observation lists on the web ? Or are those the app links to the only ones ?"

I'm happy to build my own if required. But it seems daft to duplicate if others exist...

(I'm particularly interested in Globular Clusters and have found a great list of them, but it isn't in a SkySafari Observation list format at the moment...)

Thanks

Susie

I just use the old fashioned method and write them down on something called paper. Also have SS5+

If really keen I then transfer to a table in word and print them off.

5xClusters64.doc

Thought I had this as the small table but on A4 size sheet, slightly easier and more to scribble on.

To determine which to list I normally use Stellarium on the PC to set the magnitude level and then choose them.

24 minutes ago, ronin said:

I just use the old fashioned method and write them down on something called paper.

Ouch... Sharp... And a tad patronising I must say...

When I started in Accountancy people used Ledgers... They worked just as well as today's Accounting programs I guess. But  I'm always happy to embrace innovation if I feel it helps. 

As I said  I do have a list in the "old fashioned format" as you describe it. 

I was just wondering whether any other online resources exist. Standing by for someone like @Stu who might know the answer to that question...

?

I searched for Observing lists online but couldn't find any, so I'm also interested in this topic. I do find them useful with the GoTo system. Making use of every spare moment when the clouds have rolled away is important to me, and these lists mean I can quickly get to the objects I want to observe very easily. I've made lists of WR stars visible from my back garden, and also some Be stars, and would be happily to upload them for others to use if there was somewhere to upload them.

Eric.

3 minutes ago, rockystar said:

http://www.southernstars.com/support/faq/skysafari.html  Question 23 :)

Sky Tools 3 (which I use) can export in SkySafari format, here's one to get you started

Globs.skylist

enjoy 

Thank you. I believe @Racey has a version of SkyTools on his laptop. I didn't realise that functionality existed. I'll get him to read up on the subject as he hasn't mentioned it either...

I appreciate the tip off @rockystar :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

You can email observing lists so it strikes me that you must be able to make the file that gets sent with an email available to download. Just testing but here's one I emailed myself. If this works then perhaps members can share their own lists that people may like

All Observations.skylist

That's interesting. I wonder whether a Moderator could think about creating a corner of this site for such things ?

If @Stu doesn't know of any other repositories, maybe we could discuss creating such a resource for "Loungers" to share ?

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Susie, there's also lots of observing lists on the Sky Safari yahoo group forum that you can install as well.

Hi Richard.

Thanks for that (and the offer you made for us to nip over before things moved quickly last week).

I hadn't found that with my searching. But I'll spend some time looking through that shortly. :thumbsup:

Susie

4 minutes ago, Mrs Racey said:

Hi Richard.

Thanks for that (and the offer you made for us to nip over before things moved quickly last week).

I hadn't found that with my searching. But I'll spend some time looking through that shortly. :thumbsup:

Susie

No probs. Also, did you know you can highlight an observing list on the sky chart. In an observing list go settings - then turn on the highlight objects. It's a great feature.

17 minutes ago, Mrs Racey said:

I didn't. But I do now ? Thank you. 

Big feature for me. I enjoy using a newly created observing list to easily - and visually - keep track of what I've seen on the night. Beats using a red torch on paper in my book - er, in my e-reader.

:rolleyes2:

2 hours ago, Mrs Racey said:

That's interesting. I wonder whether a Moderator could think about creating a corner of this site for such things ?

If @Stu doesn't know of any other repositories, maybe we could discuss creating such a resource for "Loungers" to share ?

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Your wish .... :hippy2:

• 1 year later...

@rockystar, I cannot find any way to do this in Sky Tools 3.  That FAQ is no longer there since SS was sold to Simulation Curriculum - but since ST3 hasn't changed, I assume the capability must still be there.  Could you explain how you do this export? 

Thanks!

On 28/05/2017 at 11:03, rockystar said:

http://www.southernstars.com/support/faq/skysafari.html  Question 23 :)

Sky Tools 3 (which I use) can export in SkySafari format, here's one to get you started

Globs.skylist

enjoy 

1 hour ago, ultradianguy said:

@rockystar, I cannot find any way to do this in Sky Tools 3.  That FAQ is no longer there since SS was sold to Simulation Curriculum - but since ST3 hasn't changed, I assume the capability must still be there.  Could you explain how you do this export? 

Thanks!

In ST3 Open the observation list you want to export. To the left of the observation list name is a blue arrow. Hit this. Click on export. Select format you want. Job done...

Archived