SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Struggling to Resolve the Encke Ring

I thought I would have a go at Saturn using my 130P-DS and 450D. I know it was optimistic! The results are somewhat less detailed than I can get from my bridge camera (which does have about twice the effective focal length).

It would be nice to composite a photo like this with longer exposures for the background stars, though.

Saturn 130P-DS.png

I can almost see it Neil ;) 

Saturn is pretty tough currently. I recall seeing the Encke gap (or whatever it is called) in a Celestron C150HD back when Saturn was far higher in the sky (around the 2000s I guess). The scope was a Bird-Jones type, didn't take high power well but it showed things I can't see in far better scopes these days. Just shows the importance of altitude for seeing fine detail.

I've never seen the Encke Division as far as I'm aware. I have seen the Encke Minima which is a dimmer part of  the A ring with my 12" dob when the seeing was good. I believe the Division itself is much harder to spot.

15 minutes ago, John said:

I have seen the Encke Minima which is a dimmer part of  the A ring

That'll be it John, I knew there was something confusing about the naming. All I know is that I saw a very clear feature in the A ring, in addition to the Cassini division. Many moons ago now  though so the memory is a little faded!

Archived