SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My Advanced VX doesn't turn on

Hogyun Yu

Hello, My name is Hogyun Yu From South Korea.

I'm a high school student and I'm using Celestron Advanced VX mount with Skywatcher 8" Reflector.

When I was setting a telescope with my mount, I notice that my Advanced VX mount's LED doesn't turned on. I'd know there's a problem with my battery-mount connecting cable in previous setting in May 8, so I fixed it and check the connection between my lead storage battery and 12v LED (to check the polarity) and it turned on well 1 hour before the observation. I didn't connect the mount to checked the power connection with this fixed one even before the yesturday's observation. 

I noticed the problem yesturday's observation. I thought there was a disconnection somewhere so I cut the wire and peeled off its sheath, reconnected mount and battery with it and check the mount's LED. I tried it more then 4 times but neither the LED turns on nor did the hand controller. I thought there was a problem in cable.

After arriving home, I connected 12v 2Ah adapter and mount to checked whether there's a problem in mount. As I connected the adapter and switched on, nothing changed. So I removed the main board but there is no significantly damaged or burned part. There could be possibility of wrong polarity connection. 

As a student, I can't afford to buy a new main board I want to fix it myself if it is possible. It worked well in previous observation in May 8.

I want to know what cause the problem and how to solve it. 

But when I  s

Hi Hogyun,

I don't have one of your mounts, according to the Celestron manual, the mount require a 12volt 3.5 amp power supply, so I would start by getting a 12volt 5 amp power supply.

If that doesn't fix it, you will then need access to a multi meter, so that you can check the voltage path within the mount, for example does the switch work ?  is there an internal fuse ??

Check the output of the battery, an LED for polarity drops the voltage by about 0.7v so it may just be running low.

Also check the plug at the end of the cables, they are not well made and can fail, multimeter and a continuity check from end the end (if possible)

The unfortunate aspect is that there seems no protection against just about anything on these "modern" mounts. If the voltage was made and broken then maybe a spike has caused problems. Assuming you have no success then I can only think is do you have an electronics dept at your school that could help?

Thanks, My mount work properly with another changed cable made with cigar-jack from celestron. I think the cable and the low current was the problem. As I made three of cables from old wire, there all might be some disconnection. 

Anyway, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Hogyun Yu said:

Thanks, My mount work properly with another changed cable made with cigar-jack from celestron. I think the cable and the low current was the problem. As I made three of cables from old wire, there all might be some disconnection. 

Anyway, thanks. 

Glad you got it sorted...power up and off you go..

Archived