A scope or a polemaster?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both those camera should do the job. Just be aware that if you ever want to run off an ARM device like a Raspberry Pi that there is no ARM driver for the Touptek but you can connect the ASI camera with INDI.

Mono is not essential for guiding. But if you are having trouble with finding guide stars mono can be better as the Bayer filter reduces the amount of light hitting the sensor.  With an ST80 as guidescope that should not be a problem.

3 minutes ago, kens said:

Both those camera should do the job. Just be aware that if you ever want to run off an ARM device like a Raspberry Pi that there is no ARM driver for the Touptek but you can connect the ASI camera with INDI.

Mono is not essential for guiding. But if you are having trouble with finding guide stars mono can be better as the Bayer filter reduces the amount of light hitting the sensor.  With an ST80 as guidescope that should not be a problem.

Then i will go with the color version because it is cheaper slightly, and i feel i may go with ZWO, but when i check the FOV i see that Touptek giving slightly more magnification than same camera from ZWO, or is it just delusional? 

They have the same size sensor and same pixel size. In fac, looks like the same sensor on the color models so the FOV is identical. On closer look, I would (and did) go with the ZWO as it has a 12bit ADC vs 8bit on the Touptek

Great, then i will go with that, one item to add and slowly i add items in the future, i think even the scope isn't in the list for now, so better i finish the guiding items then i can focus on another scope with better accessories later.

Thank you very much!

49 minutes ago, carastro said:

If you are wanting to do planets as well you'll have to keep saving, although the sw130pds with a Barlow will be reasonable for planets and  visual.  Carole

And that is why i was thinking about 200PDS instead of 130PDS, better for planets visual than 130PDS, or

or

I buy 130PDS, and then later i buy Skymax 180mm to be dedicated for planets.

What about alignmaster from www.alignmaster.de ? Costs 14€-£ or 19$. Does what I assume polemaster does if you have some sort of camera. For a small fraction of Polemaster cost, one month free trial. Polemaster is surely a luxury you can get by without easily. 

On 28/05/2017 at 22:43, TareqPhoto said:

I have the ToupTek and used it successfully with Skywatcher StarTravel 80 for guiding an 8" f5 reflector on both an AVX and a CGEM-DX mount.

I do have a camera now, very cheap one, it may help me in alignment for a while, so I will give it a try, but I need to learn how to use it in guiding first.

Members suggested me software that are great for may things including polar alignment, so maybe that is the saving opportunity for me

1 minute ago, iapa said:

I have the ToupTek and used it successfully with Skywatcher StarTravel 80 for guiding an 8" f5 reflector on both an AVX and a CGEM-DX mount.

Ah good to know, but I already bought AS I120mc one, and just will try to use it and learn it

Archived