SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M97 - Owl Nebula in Bicolour (HOO)

gnomus

I lost astro dark a couple of weeks back.  I thought, therefore, that I would try capturing narrowband during nautical darkness on the basis that I may as well do something with all the gear.  I ended up with 6 hours of Ha and 6 Hours of OIII captured at my home observatory using my Esprit 120 and QSI 690 atop a Mesu 200 mount. Filters are Astrodon and exposures were 30 minutes each. Processing in PixInsight and Adobe Photoshop.

I cropped the image slightly to eliminate a couple of brighter stars at the edge of the frame.  I'd be interested to hear what people think.

A_M97_HOO_FIN_CROPx1920.thumb.jpg.ba09aab82f4d51803597dc2e813f95d5.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've certainly captured the outer halo perfectly!!! Nowt wrong with that :) I do wonder if the middle could stand a little more contrast to bring the owl eyes out a little more...... This is a very technically accomplished image, but probably one of THE most boring things to look at in my opinion!!! :) 

7 minutes ago, swag72 said:

You've certainly captured the outer halo perfectly!!! Nowt wrong with that :) I do wonder if the middle could stand a little more contrast to bring the owl eyes out a little more...... This is a very technically accomplished image, but probably one of THE most boring things to look at in my opinion!!! :) 

Thanks Sara.  I went back and forth on the middle portion contrast.   There is certainly more that could be done, but  ended up where I ended up.  

I cannot agree about the object though.  I find these planetary nebulae fascinating.  

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

... I do wonder if the middle could stand a little more contrast to bring the owl eyes out a little more...... 

Perhaps you are right.  How is this?  As well as boosting core contrast, I've cropped it a bit tighter so that a little more detail is available at 'forum size'.

C_M97_HOO_FIN_FIN_CROPx1920.thumb.jpg.2bc97cd02ee3cf345a7713189d0ecc80.jpg

9 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I like this one and although the description can cause confusion to some, this really does look like a 'planet' with the centre treatment that you have given it. I do like the outer halo too.

Thanks Steve.  I was pleased to get it too.  All down to those clever chaps at Astrodon of course.  :wink2:

2 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Yes Steve I prefer the second edit :) It looks a little more punchy and less flat now :)

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The 'problem' is that it's one of those subjects that looses some of its distinctive look if you can pull out the fine detail.

AAAAAAARRRGHHHHH :icon_biggrin:  

29 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sad but true, my rather grim attempt is nonetheless more 'owl like' :-P

Well you have certainly not made the mistake of showing too much fine detail in the core...  :icon_biggrin:

Archived