Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn

So after nearly a Month of constant cloud we finally had a break in the weather and I was able to pop out last night to see Saturn.

Light Pollution was terrible, and I'm shocked to even have seen it. but at 2am I had it in my sights. I used a 15mm on my AstroMaster EQ90 then switched down to 10mm, then 6mm. I decided to experiment with my x2 Barlow lens although the 10mm Eye piece still seems to be the best.

Using my phone and a mount I was able to get a nice image  and a video but definitely need to invest in a DLSR. 

Neptune next!

20170527_032119.png

Screenshot_20170527-031024.png

Nice one Matt. It is pretty challenging currently isn't it? We saw it the other night, when it first cleared the trees it was awful due to the low altitude, later on it was merely bad!

Must try and stay up a bit later!!

I dont think it's a good year for Saturn so wanted to try and see it while it was near.... ish. I will try again in the winter fingers crossed. I was going to stay up for Neptune but tiredness caught the better of me! Was defiantly worth asking up for though!

I found recording a video was better on my phone than taking a picture, seems to do something with the brightness so it appears much clearer. These pictures were actually a screen shot. I Dont have any editing software and Sadly I can only get up to about 180x magnification :/

I now have the S8+ So will be interesting to see how this phone manages it. May post a Jupiter shot later :)

The 1st. image looks just like my first time viewing Saturn - from atop my parent's home's rooftop in 1972. My neighbor had given me a 50mm F/8 refractor from Carton Optical Industries, Ltd. of Japan. With a 12.5mm Huygens EP.

I was hooked! Thanks for posting the memory!

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived