Narrowband

Vail nebula cygnus

was wondering if this was a correct observation other morning I was useing my 12x50 binoculars and could see a pink/purple colour very slightly in the area of this nebula in Cygnus around 12.45am would u off been able too see this with these binoculars or could my eyes new seeing things it was ever so slight thanks guys

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there, welcome to SGL.  The Veil Nebula is very difficult to spot even with a good telescope and often filters are used to pick out the detail.  Not sure what you could have seen but it sounds interesting, perhaps others may know?

I don't think it was the Veil Nebula. That is colourless even with my 12" scope and needs an O-III or UHC filter to make it stand out.

I have once seen the eastern side of the Veil through 11x70 binoculars on a really, really dark night. It appeared as a very faint, small curved strand of light with no colour in it.

Personally I've never seen colour in the veil nebula even through my 20" scope from some of the UK's darkest skies.

It does appear like a B&W photo stretching right across the field of view but no colour. :) 

4 hours ago, swamp thing said:

Personally I've never seen colour in the veil nebula even through my 20" scope from some of the UK's darkest skies.

It does appear like a B&W photo stretching right across the field of view but no colour. :) 

i did see purple hues steve when we was at brecon but that may have been the coatings on OIII or UHC cant remember which one we used. 

2 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

i did see purple hues steve when we was at brecon but that may have been the coatings on OIII or UHC cant remember which one we used. 

agreed Dan I think it was down to the filter...

9 minutes ago, alhiggs said:

I also saw.the black and white thing it went from right to.left looked stretched out very faintly though what is that I seen then

the witches broom?...

If you keep a sketchbook handy you can do a quick pic' of unidentified things with a few stars then have a look in Stellarium or similar, the Witches Broom bit of the Veil has a bright star 52cyg in it to help identify it.

Dave

11 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

... the Witches Broom bit of the Veil has a bright star 52cyg in it to help identify it.

Dave

Indeed it is. Very hard to see with a 4" scope without a filter let alone 12x50 binoculars.

I agree that sketches (however rough) are a great help to identifying what has been seen after the event.

3 hours ago, faulksy said:

i see a maroon color when i look at it.

Me too, with an O-III in my 10".

I always thought this peculiar given that the filter should be picking out green light, and yet I see a brownish tinge :dontknow:

I could not see any colour and I doubt you can see colour on the Veil with just the binoculars. I definitely saw the Eastern Veil Saturday night in the 10x50 binoculars, some hint of the Western one and perhaps some hints of the Pickering Triangle as well, with averted vision. It was a dark sky though, no cities/towns near, just some dim lights on the village's streets which I did not see directly. Seeing the Veil in the bins is my reference if a dark site is dark enough.

I tried look for it last night with my O-III on and I am convinced it is a figment of someone's imagination ;-)  I had the Goto which thought it was on NGC6960 and my 32mm Celestron Omni plossl on with the filter.  However, in the same field of view there was one star in particular which the O-III turned a rather spectacular shade of electric blue and stood out like a sore thumb in the eyepiece with that O-III filter on.  I don't know what that was, but it was gorgeous.

Archived