Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GRS for the first time.

Ger

Finding the later observation times more and more difficult as we get into the summer due to having to get up early each day. Stayed up last night so I could get a short session in with Jupiter and was delighted when I got my first view of jupiter's GRS. I needed to spend some time looking to make sure I was definitely looking at it, but there it was although very very small, had to spend time focusing my through the eyepiece

Since I have very limited opportunity to get out at the moment I spend a little time reading about the night sky and keeping an eye out for interesting TV shows on space.

With the summer days coming in my wife thinks I'm a bit mad when I said I wish it was winter again for the earlier night skies 

Nice to finally bag the GRS!  I know some folk have taken years to do it - it can be very elusive.

The winter thing - yes, astro can make you feel that way, although I had a good session last night with Jupiter/Callisto, the Double Double (showing how good the seeing was), and the lovely Coma Berenices Cluster looking good with 4+ degrees of TFOV.  (Details under Observing - Reports).

Doug.

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice to finally bag the GRS!  I know some folk have taken years to do it - it can be very elusive.

The winter thing - yes, astro can make you feel that way, although I had a good session last night with Jupiter/Callisto, the Double Double (showing how good the seeing was), and the lovely Coma Berenices Cluster looking good with 4+ degrees of TFOV.  (Details under Observing - Reports).

Doug.

Yeah, the moons were pretty to look at especially with Callisto been very close to Jupiter, although the GRS was a nice distraction 

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Well done. It is always nice to see something for the first time. The GRS can be elusive until you get your eye in, but now that you have seen it you will find it easier to spot in the future. 

Thanks, hopefully that is the case, looking forward to doing it again 

I guess GRS has shrunk over the years, I used to be surprised how big it was! I do remember once, a long time ago, confidently telling someone that they were looking at GRS when it was actually a large barge! Doh! GRS duly came around the corner a while late and I was looking at it in a puzzled way thinking 'what is that??' 

Fortunately the 'someone' had gone by then so I didn't have to expose my ignorance :) 

GRS is great, look for the colour next time if you didn't pick it up this time.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I guess GRS has shrunk over the years, I used to be surprised how big it was! I do remember once, a long time ago, confidently telling someone that they were looking at GRS when it was actually a large barge! Doh! GRS duly came around the corner a while late and I was looking at it in a puzzled way thinking 'what is that??' 

Fortunately the 'someone' had gone by then so I didn't have to expose my ignorance :) 

GRS is great, look for the colour next time if you didn't pick it up this time.

Will do stu, thanks for the tip 

Archived