SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Impulse purchase of some Opticron 7x42's

Tyr

So until the last couple of weeks, it had been a while (like a year!) since I got out to do any observing, but some nice clear and warm evenings tempted me out.

Unfortunately I had to put my scopes into storage back around Christmas time to make some space in the house, but I've still got my bins. 

So I've been using my current pair of 15x70 Helios Apollo's, which give amazing views but are too big and heavy with too small a field of view for relaxed sky scanning and I find I need to use them with support to get the most out of them.

I've got a pair of 10x50 Helios Field masters which were my first astro purchase back in 2012 I think, but the image quality is not so great with them anymore and they suffered quite a lot from fogging up the last time I used them, which I found really frustrating.

A pair of smaller bins had been on my mind for a while (or each time I picked up my old 10x50s), searching FLO I chanced upon a clearance pair or these 7x42s which looked ideal, I liked the look of the apparent 30yr warranty and what I could find written about them was good, so I decided now was a good a time as any.

Hoping they'll be a good complement to my 15x70s and when I get it back my 127 Mak, as well as lasting a bit better than my previous cheap pair.

Looking forward to trying them out next week <insert obligatory prayer to cloud gods>.

Edit I just fully realised the weight difference, 680g vs 2.5kg for my 15x70s ow my neck :) (and about 150g lighter than my 10x50s)

3 hours ago, Alfian said:

If I'm right in assuming you have the Opticron iMagics, I think you will be pleased with the performance. I have the 10x42s and they are good binos.

Yes, the full model is listed as the "Opticron Imagic TGA WP 42mm Binoculars 7x42"

Sounds like a great buy. It is always good to invest in a range of binoculars. I have the Helios Apollo 15x70 too, which is great for astronomy, and even better with the big monopod I got (also great for use with the hefty 100-400 zoom), but a smaller pair for wider-field viewing and birding is great to have as well. I have the somewhat bigger Vixen New Forresta 10x56mm for that purpose, but I am considering getting the missus a smaller 8x32 or so

On 2017-5-27 at 22:46, BinocularSky said:

Yup, we have the 8x42. Lovely binocular, and good VFM even at the non - discounted price.

Steve, I found the review of the 8x42's on your website to be most helpful thank you.

On 2017-5-29 at 09:13, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Sounds like a great buy. It is always good to invest in a range of binoculars. I have the Helios Apollo 15x70 too, which is great for astronomy, and even better with the big monopod I got (also great for use with the hefty 100-400 zoom), but a smaller pair for wider-field viewing and birding is great to have as well. I have the somewhat bigger Vixen New Forresta 10x56mm for that purpose, but I am considering getting the missus a smaller 8x32 or so

I've got a monopod with a ball / trigger grip head (if that makes sense) and horizon tripod both of which I use with the Apollos, depending on the amount of stability / time I'm going to spend wanting to have them pointing at the same thing. The tripod is especially useful if I want to find a target then show someone else.

I'm looking forward to sitting back in the deck chair with the new pair.

Just now, Tyr said:

I've got a monopod with a ball / trigger grip head (if that makes sense) and horizon tripod both of which I use with the Apollos, depending on the amount of stability / time I'm going to spend wanting to have them pointing at the same thing. The tripod is especially useful if I want to find a target then show someone else.

I'm looking forward to sitting back in the deck chair with the new pair.

The monopod/trigger-grip ball-head combo is indeed not that handy if you want to share views. I built a P-mount for those occasions, but it does take a while to set up

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The monopod/trigger-grip ball-head combo is indeed not that handy if you want to share views. I built a P-mount for those occasions, but it does take a while to set up

I've seen build instructions for those before, looks good.

So they were delivered yesterday and I took them out for a quick test last night.

They were every bit as easy to handle as I'd hoped and looking at the lunar surface the clarity of detail was really sharp. It was still pretty light when I went out, and I haven't had out my old 10x50s to compare the light gathering capability, but stand alone first impressions were very good.

Archived