Narrowband

Can Dry Ice be used as a fuel source?

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

When I was you age I read every book I could lay my hands on about science today you have the internet as well. Seek out some good quality sites and see what you can discover. Avoid those where one individual peddles there own pet theories.

Good luck Andrew

Thanks, any recommendations?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I visit this site https://www.physicsforums.com it allows you to ask questions at different levels. It is very strict and you can't ask about your own theories only currently accepted ones.Many answers are way too difficult for me but some are ok.

I find if I don't understand something I just keep reading different books or articles until it starts to make sense. At university I reckoned I understood the topic when I noticed the errors in my notes!

Maybe the SGL members who are also educators will have some recommendations.

Regards Andrew

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:02, Patrick2568422 said:

what if you somehow separate the carbon from the oxygen. I heard some scientist have been zapping CO2 with a laser and separating the two elements. The carbon can then be used again and again as a fuel source. 

We already use a sort of CO2 as a fuel system, its biomass. I work in industrial gas. and we provide CO2 purity analysers to various places that produce a lot of CO2, rather than wasting it, its piped in to greenhouse (usually tomato), gets cleaned and compressed for industrial gas use, or gets used by fizzy drink producers. Pretty sure CO2 enriched atmospheres are being used to accelerate biomass fuel production, definitely read about one trial a few years back.

The problem with using CO2 directly as a fuel is that it is very stable, that's one of the reasons its used in fire extinguishers.

7 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I visit this site https://www.physicsforums.com it allows you to ask questions at different levels. It is very strict and you can't ask about your own theories only currently accepted ones.Many answers are way too difficult for me but some are ok.

I find if I don't understand something I just keep reading different books or articles until it starts to make sense. At university I reckoned I understood the topic when I noticed the errors in my notes!

Maybe the SGL members who are also educators will have some recommendations.

Regards Andrew

thanks 

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Interestingly I attended a talk by a climate scientist at my local astro soc and he maintained we would be n an ice age now without the CO2 produced by the industrial revolution. 

It's an ill wind...

Regards Andrew

I'm not sure about that, but a local authority geologist I know went to a conference some ten or twelve years ago, it was based around planning for the future impact of global warming melting enough ice to switch off the North Atlantic Conveyor (Gulf Stream, effectively). In ten years we would have the climate of Labrador (in the otherwise warmer world). Basically they were looking at issues like making sure sewage and water pipes would be placed deep enough not to freeze...

The National River Authority (predecessor to the Environment Agency) were factoring climate change impacts of more rain and rising sea levels into their flood planning over 25 years ago.

45 minutes ago, JonC said:

We already use a sort of CO2 as a fuel system, its biomass. I work in industrial gas. and we provide CO2 purity analysers to various places that produce a lot of CO2, rather than wasting it, its piped in to greenhouse (usually tomato), gets cleaned and compressed for industrial gas use, or gets used by fizzy drink producers. Pretty sure CO2 enriched atmospheres are being used to accelerate biomass fuel production, definitely read about one trial a few years back.

The problem with using CO2 directly as a fuel is that it is very stable, that's one of the reasons its used in fire extinguishers.

Yes, plants fix CO2 to produce biomass. But they need energy to be put in to do that. The energy comes from sunlight. The overall process is called photosynthesis.

The resulting biomass can be converted to biofuel to power a car. BUT energy needs to be put in - there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Jeremy

Archived