Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A bunch of rarely imaged galaxies

gorann

I have continued my quest for rarely imaged galaxies in the Liverpool Telescope treasure chest. Instead of wearing you down with daily posts I post this bunch that I have done over the last days. The data are from the 2 m f/10 RC scope on La Palma known as the Liverpool Telescope, and are RGB images from about 40 - 80 subs, and 1-2 h total imaging time. I stacked them with Nebulosity 4 and processed them in PS CS5.

There are not much readily available info on them and very few images of these galaxies to be found on the net. In most cases these LT images are probably the most detailed so far.

In order of appearance, the main galaxy in each images is:

NGC 1073: about 55 million light years from Earth and about 80,000 light years across, found in the Cetus constellation.

NGC 1032: about 117 million light years away in the Cetus constellation.

NGC 7080: according to Simbad this is a HII-galaxy with the co-ordinates 21 30 01.956 +26 43 04.49. No entry for it in the English Wikipedia but according to the Bosnian Wikipedia it is barred spiral galaxy about 222 million light years from Earth in the constellation of Vulpecula. The largest diameter is 117,000 light years. The first discovery was made by Albert Marth in 1863.

NGC 6632: again no entry for it in the English Wikipedia but according to the Bosnian Wikipedia NGC 6632 is about 219 million light years from the Earth and located in the constellation Hercules. The largest diameter is 191,000 lights years. The first discovery made by Albert Marth in 1864.

NGC 7015: again no entry for it in the English Wikipedia but according to the Bosnian Wikipedia NGC 7015 is about 224 million light years from the Earth and is located in the constellation Equuleus. The largest diameter is 118,000 light years. The first discovery was made Marie Jean Edouard Stephan in 1878.

NGC 1530 is a galaxy in the constellation Camelopardalis. It is about 115 million light years away and has a diameter of about 155,000 light years. The galaxy was discovered by Wilhelm Tempel in 1877 with an amici refractor with 283 mm aperture (all according to the German Wikipedia)

Cheers

LT NGC1073 RGB PS16sign.jpg

LT NGC1032 RGB PS6sign.jpg

LT NGC7080 RGB PS6cropSign.jpg

LT NGC6632 RGB PS14sign.jpg

LT NGC7015 RGB PS20sign.jpg

LT NGC1530 RGB PS18sign.jpg

Thanks Wim!

I like Prague a lot, not the least their beers, but Sweden is not to bad right now since summer suddenly decided to arrive.

There is a lot to do on LT data, but we have the whole non-astrodark summer......

Archived