Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Stub Mandrel

Jupiter 25 May 2017 - Chuffed with this one!

This is the result of my first go at using 16-bit RAW mode instead of 8 on the ASI 120MC, with a 3X barlow on my 150PL, then resampled 2x.

I realise this is actually just 12 bits, it also limits the capture rate to about 15 fps on my awful lappie (I was using full screen resolution, but I think I may have the confidence to crop in future).

Seeing was very steady, bahtinov mask said focus was dead on. This was the first 60-second capture, put through PIPP, AS!2 and Registax.

Though I say it myself, I think this is getting close to the limit for what the 150PL can deliver, such a shame that no Red Spot and the quadruple moon and shadow transit will be after Jupiter sets :-(

592761bb647c7_Jupiter25Mayfirstminute.thumb.png.8449d9b578cce5c3a7fe3527b7415783.png

• Like 19

Lovely Neil. The seeing was pretty good tonight :smiley:

• Like 1

Very nice Neil, those lovely white markings  in the SEB were very clear visually, nice to see confirmation of what I saw.

• Like 1

Very promising. Did you compare the RAW and normal captures at all? Was there a notable difference?

Peter

Edited by astroman001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, astroman001 said:

Very promising. Did you compare the RAW and normal captures at all? Was there a notable difference?

Peter

The main difference was in the ease of processing, I think.

Interesting to see... in theory I wouldn't have thought there would be much to be gained with the higher bit captures as there's not a huge dynamic range on jupiter. But anything that makes processing easier is definitely worth it.  I think I'll certainly try it out next chance I get.

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

I wouldn't have thought there would be much to be gained with the higher bit captures as there's not a huge dynamic range on jupiter.

Extra bit-depth is your friend when you have limited dynamic range as it allows more stretching, although it's easy to make jupiter look very unnatural with stretching.

• Like 1

Hi Neil, yes I agree with others... that's an awful lot of detail from a modest 150 - nice job!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Batesy82
      Hi guys,
      I've literally just signed up so I'm totally new here and excited to learn from all you professional astromaster... 
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so I do apologise if not... 
      I'm after a skywatcher eq3 pro goto mount for my celestron astromaster 130eq every website i go on they are out of stock and not available for a couple of months 🙄 does anybody know a stockist that has these in stock? I've only been in the astrophotography hobby 4 weeks so I've got lots to learn... 

Thank you for your help 
    • By Zermelo
      I’ve been starting to think about my next scope, and knowing that order lead times are quite long at the moment, I’ve been spurred into writing by the pre-midnight appearance of Jupiter and Saturn.

I’m hoping for some wise input to break me out of analysis paralysis. Here are my thoughts so far. Please feel free to rebut/add anything at all (but you might want to note my PS). Thanks in advance.

Context: I’ve had a "budget" (but quite decent) 70mm F/10 refractor on a GEM for a while now, and recently have started to take observing more seriously, learned my way around a bit, and started to run up against aperture limits. My partner is also interested, but not so keen on spending long hours in the cold watching me failing to find stuff. We already have Telrad, barlow and a few extra EPs.

Location: most observation is likely to be from the back garden, which ClearOutside declares to be Bortle 4 (I would say slightly generous, some nearby lighting) but we have darker skies within a 15 minute drive that we would like to take advantage of with the next scope.

Likely Targets: equally interested in solar system, DSOs and doubles, so not much help on the decision there I'm afraid. Might be interested in spectroscopy at some point, but not a deal breaker. Not really keen on solar.

Imaging: we are both interested to get into this “at some point” but I have taken on board the message that visual and imaging often send you down different paths, and we have agreed that we will prioritize visual for a few seasons, and consider buying further kit later if we do decide to do imaging. It might be a bit nuanced now with decisions like mounts, but ideally we would prefer to spend only what we need for visual work now, rather than going for a higher spec that would also support photography at some unknown point in the future.

Budget: not particularly constrained, but ideally looking to spend no more than £600.

Aperture: I know some have said good things about some 130mm scopes elsewhere, but I feel anything less than 150mm doesn’t seem enough of a step up from the current scope (and also possibly because Patrick Moore always said six inches was the minimum size for a beginner! ). I even considered a 200mm but decided against on portability (and on the heights of some of the prospective observers! ).

OTA: looking to a Newt for bang/buck. There is so much choice that I’ve only been looking at Skywatcher models so far – not because I’ve already decided they’re best, but they seem to be a decent quality/price point for us and then I’ll have something to compare with if people suggest alternative ranges. So in the 150mm arena I've been looking at the Explorer 150P (F/5) and 150PL (F/8). Obviously if we were going to do imaging we’d opt for the shorter model, but for visual the F/8 is quite appealing to me with its 1200mm focal length – better contrast and magnification, more forgiving in various respects (eyepiece design, collimation, …) We’re probably not looking to spend more than £50ish per eyepiece, and may need two or three more yet, so that favours the PL. On the con side, we are obviously sacrificing some TFOV compared with the F/5, and it’s physically longer. I'm thinking a wide-field 32mm will span most DSOs with the PL. The 150P comes with a 2” Crayford focuser, the PL has a rack-and-pinion, I’ve read pros and cons for both? We’re unlikely to make use of 2” ultra-wide field EPs. Both scopes have parabolic mirrors, which I like, and I've read good things about the durability of the coatings. The PL seems to have attracted some good feedback in these pages.

Mount: Getting tricky now. But GoTo (or at least PushTo) is an absolute must, because there will be one or more observers who will be wanting fast location (and even I will probably lose the will to live if I have to star hop too much). I have seen good things written about the Skywatcher AZ GTi (and it’s a keen price), but I’m advised that it’s not too stable with anything larger than a 130mm instrument. So if I went for the F/8 150 Newt, then in the Skywatcher range we’re looking at, minimum an EQ3 pro, possibly an EQ5 pro (I’m quite comfortable with equatorials). Is it worth the extra £160 for the EQ5? Would we only see any benefit in the future for imaging, or will a 1200mm tube behave better now on an EQ5 anyway? One other factor: noise. Small back garden, so motors must be quiet, and need to be able to slip and slew by hand without the GoTo losing its fix.

So, where I am at the moment: For the sake of convenience, I’m still framing this in terms of the Skywatcher range (in the absence of some revelation of a better value offering elsewhere).

I seem to have convinced myself of the following:

- Newtonian
      - 150mm
      - GoTo (probably on an EQ mount )
      - Skywatcher are a brand to beat

But still undecided on the focal length. I’ve found one or two “150P vs 150PL” discussions on these forums that are interesting but haven’t been conclusive for me, mainly because I have no preference on planetary vs DSO. I think more of a factor for me on the longer focal length is just the effect on stability, and the impact of that on the mount decision. We could live with the PL on an EQ3 if it were steady enough for regular visual, even knowing that we wouldn't use the mount subsequently for photography, or even for upgrading to a 200mm for visual only. Is it just a question of living with a bit longer wait for the image to settle after focusing, for example? That wouldn't be a problem. But if an EQ3 is only marginally capable handling the 150PL, that would push us into considering either the 150P on EQ3 or 150PL on EQ5.

So as I said, a bit deadlocked at the moment. If anyone can chip in with any thoughts that sway it one way or another (or unpick it and take it in some other direction), I’d be very grateful!

(PS Yes, I know I’ve not mentioned Dobs.  Yes, I have considered them, but as I mentioned, it’s important to me that we have a scope that finds and tracks objects. While I’m sure you can make a Dob do that, I don’t think that’s its raison d’être. Please don’t be offended, Dob lovers).

• By Stub Mandrel
      Forgot to post the final version of this one. Please with the detail.

• By Lee_P
      Lots of astro kit for sale! Payment via bank transfer or PayPal (buyer to pay fees). Reasonable offers considered.

1. Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit with auto focuser upgrade -- £350
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, dovetail, tube rings, SkyWatcher Auto Focuser, HitecAstro DC Focus Controller USB, metal case. Approx. cost new: £562. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer to arrange for a courier. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below).
      Main items similar to: 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html
      https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html
      http://ensoptical.co.uk/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller-usb

2. Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80 -- £120 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

3. Sky-Watcher Skymax 150 PRO -- £300
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, and dovetail. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below). Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-150-pro.html
      Works well with items 7, 8, and 9.

4. Sky-Watcher 9x50 and QHY5 mono guidescope -- £150 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK
      Includes T thread adapter attaching the QHY5 to the finderscope. Also includes kit to convert into a regular optical finderscope. 

5. Sky-Watcher 9x50 Finderscope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-finderscope.html

6. Sky-Watcher EQ3 PRO mount -- £220
      In pretty good condition, and includes the handset for full goto functionality. Unboxed. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

7. Astrozap Dew Heater Tape, 6" 'scope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-dew-heater-tapes.html

8. Astrozap Flexible Dew Shield for Skymax 150 -- £20 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

9. StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Mask 150mm Maksutov -- £10 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

Items 1 and 4:

Item 2:

Items 3, 5, 7:

Item 5:

Item 6:

Item 8:

Item 9:

• By AstroRuz
      Skywatcher 150/1200 f8 planetary Newtonian.
      Bought this originally intending to set up a planetary rig but circumstances call for sale.
      Will come with eyepieces and a collimation eyepiece. Not used by myself and has seen very little use. Mirrors in good condition
      Collection only
      £50

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.