Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16 " Open Truss Dobsonian Build

saac

Damian, niallk, thanks. In the short time I had to play with it on Sunday night I got the impression that there is a bit of a learning curve ahead of me on setting up and on using it effectively. Stand by for lots of questions and me looking for tips. I feel like I'm preparing for a Dob driving licence :) 

Jim 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, faulksy said:

looking good jim :headbang:

Thanks Mike, I hope it works well. 

I promised the pupils at school today to give them an early look at it even though it still needs finishing touches and a shake down.  So it's packed up in the boot of the car, I feel like I should be putting a blanket around it :) 

Jim

large.WP_20171115_20_28_44_Pro.jpg.b28c7c8b0fd28021e1f91b08f1cc70c2.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, faulksy said:

should be a heated blanket saac :icon_biggrin:

You made me laugh Mike. The first time I took the mirror into school was way back in February. Back then it was just the mirror box but I placed it in the car overnight. When I got to work and removed the lid the mirror was all frosted up, it took hours to clear!  

Jim

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alan White said:

That is one amazing project, looks really great.

I can see why you feel a need to wrap it up and protect it.

Cheers Alan. I did briefly consider sleeping in the car with it but my wife threatend to turn it into kindling if I did :)

Jim

46 minutes ago, saac said:

Cheers Alan. I did briefly consider sleeping in the car with it but my wife threatend to turn it into kindling if I did :)

Jim

should of told the wife she could sleep in the car , then you could put your dob in your bedroom :icon_biggrin: that would go down well

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi @flyingdutch20 thanks for your kind words; It was and continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable project.  It really involved all of my classes from S1 (11-12 ) through to S6 (17-18). But it was the senior kids that were actively involved during the build. Later, a small lunchtime club group helped to add the digital setting circles - they were able to do the Arduino coding that I couldn't :)  It has a dedicated corner of the classroom where it generates a lot of questions throughout the year, waiting for the  dark skies post our autumn mid term holiday. In between, I've been able to use the mirror mounted on the bench tops for some optics demonstrations.  The lost covid years put us back a bit so we are really still working up how to use it to best effect.  I'm going to be working on it during the upcoming autumn holiday which is a week away :). One of the things I need to work on is how to move it around on site more easily, some kind of trolly is needed.   I'll upload some updated photographs over the next week. Hopefully this winter session we can have a few trips out with the kids.

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 6