Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lancashire FS128 set up and ready for Jupiter

dweller25

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Yes i see those and a big blue festoon to the north 

Yep - the festoon seems to be associated with that large dark bulge on the S side of the NEB. Best detail that I've seen for sometime this evening :icon_biggrin:

Edit: Actually, on more careful examination it's a sort of twin bulge with the festoon coming S off the second "peak".

4 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Jupiter is beautiful tonight. Very steady seeing. Lots of detail in the belts and the moons all strung out to one side. Lovely stuff 

Agreed Kerry, seeing is excellent here, pity the GRS isn't coming round until tomorrow, no doubt it will have gone downhill by then, may even have a go at imaging it if I can remember how :grin:

Nice one Shane. We had a club night last night with four scopes: 10" f6.3 dob, my FC100DC, Gavin's lovely TEC140 and a very nice 12" Meade RC.

Views in all were very different but lovely!! Seeing was the best I've had for this apparition. I think from the looks of your sketch we had better seeing than you. The lighter area in the SEB was actually separated into a series of what looked like white ovals but were actually turbulence in the belt. Neil (Stub Mandrel) posted an image taken at around the same time which showed it well.

The festoon was nice too!

Overall I think the TEC was nicest, lovely resolution when the seeing steadied. The detail in the Meade was actually similar or a bit higher but was much more susceptible to seeing so took more work to access it. My little Tak did a sterling job, and whilst obviously dimmer and not allowing as high mag, still showed basically the same features as the TEC.

Neils image is excellent. I'm pleased to say that I was getting close to those details with my TMB / LZOS 130 F/9 last night at around 200x :icon_biggrin:

One of the best nights that I've had on Jupiter for quite a while. Spotting the supernova with the 130 was pleasing as well.

Hope the FS128 is doing you proud Dave :icon_biggrin:

Hi John,

Last night was the best this week (had the scope out 3 times, each about an hour, and only really looking at Jupiter).

I did look at Izar last night briefly (I still prefer the name Pulcherrima as used by Sir Patrick in The Observer's Guide to Astronomy I grew up with ?)..it was looking at Izar that made me question whether the collimation is spot on. I need to look into this more. But last night I could use x158 on Jupiter with a good image, I couldn't do x200 with my current eyepieces and x260 was much too much.

A star test suggests that collimation needs tweaking a bit, the Fresnel rings look a bit off centre either side of focus. The scope has been pretty much unused for around 15 years, so maybe it somehow got knocked or slightly out of alignment.

I'm not too concerned about it though and will take my time to fettle it to as near 100% as I can..everything about the scope oozes quality and I'm sure the lens is too. I had similar issues with my D&G 5" F15 and managed to get it working perfectly eventually?.

Dave

Well worth a few tweaks to get things straightened out I reckon :icon_biggrin:

The photos I've seen of the FS128 lens / cell seem to show a fairly conventional "push-pull" screw collimation system so adjustments can be made.

Archived