Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion small lens as barlow?

So I've just started in prime focus imaging.  The images could do with magnification.  I have the attachments to put the DSLR on the Baader Hyperion but have not really had much luck so far with getting decent images.  I realise a barlow lens would probably suffice.  All this kit is eating away my funds.  So I was thinking, I have the extension tubes for the Hyperion.  Could I take the end lens of the Hyperion attach it to the extension tubes to account for the increased focal length then attach it to the 2inch adapter which is already attached to the Camera?  I guess the only way to know is to try, but I wondered if anyone else has had this idea or had tried this already.  

Also, :-) I'm thinking the next thing I need to purchase is a guide scope and guide camera.  The newt scope I own is 1200 mm focal length and the guide scope I'm looking at is 328 mm so I'll end up with an imaging / guide ratio of about 3.5.  With the increased focal length from the 2x barlow would that mean I will need to consider an even greater focal length guider or more expensive smaller pixel size guide camera?

Thanks,

I have a Hyperion and attach an ASI290 to it using the Baader Varilock extension tube. This is different from the fine tuning tubes. I've been really pleased with the images I get from it. 

I don't know exactly about a DSLR since the backfocus will be different. I have the extension tube set to 45mm. You'll need to calculate the distance from the eyepiece you need to get focus and figure it out from there. It should work, since you're doing much the same as me, just with a different camera. I suspect you may get fringing depending on your sensor size and eyepiece size. 

Archived