Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just purchased Helios 25x100 and new horizon 8115 heavy duty tripod question on mount

Howdy

just purchased the above set up for chilling out and enjoying some nice wide field views of the sky have managed to put everything together ok but was wondering is there a better way of mounting these binos to this mount ie have seen some things like Farsight bino mount or a Helios L type bracket are any of these worth a purchase? Do they make things more stable?

cheers 

You don't say which Helios 25x70. If it's the Q4, the tripod is just adequate, but (as you may have discovered) will be a pain for anything above about 45* elevation. If it's the  Q7.4, the tripod will be inadequate. IMO, the best mount for a large binocular is a parallelogram. Suggestions, including links to DIY sites, on my "Mouinting" page: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_mount.php

Thanks for getting back it's the Helios quantum 4 IF thanks for the links I'm not to handy DIY ha ha which was why I was wondering if those two other ways would be better but I'll certainly check the links out thanks guys! 

Well just in first night out with the Helios Q4's and tripod, weather was pants but when I did get a break in the clouds really really enjoyed the view some lovely star fields, forgot how nice it is just to sit and wander around the sky and is very easy with the binos can totally see how some people spend a fortune on high end kit. With regards to performance I'm by no means an expert on this type of set up but I would say for the money I spent £260 odds for the Q4's and £99 for the tripod I'm very pleased with my purchase there was a bit of false colour especially with very bright stars like Vega but I guess that would be expected with binos of this quality I didn't want to fork out £600 plus for the latest Helios at this size in case it wasn't for me but I'm hooked can't wait to get a really good sky when I can pick and choose. Loveliest thing I saw was Alberio the two stars were like wee jewels with the colours really clear, tripod performed ok was a bit of movement but these binos are heavy but on the whole was fine easy to move around and a really nice grab and go set up when I don't feel like setting up the refractor. So roll on some better skies! 

Archived