Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deep sky observing?

paul t

Hi folks, whilst I was enjoying all these fantastic digital images I got to wondering does anybody actually observe the night sky now? Don't get me wrong, all this new technology is making it much easier for us armatures to record, in fine detail all them faint deep sky objects but how many of us actually take time out to view and enjoy just what it is that we are looking at! I guess I'm from the 'old school' and to me there is no greater buzz than locating an object and observing it for a period of time and when possible drawing and recording my observations in my log. Just wondering thats all :lol: Best wishes and clear Sky's

Paul,

I observe everything i take an image of before imaging as i try to get a balance between imaging and observing, your right theres no better buzz than finding those hard objects :lol: sometimes imaging them is the only way i can observe them under my carp skies too.

James :(

From the dark site, imaging takes a back seat to the visuals. Really don't want to waste a dark sky sat behind a laptop. Our last trip to the New Forest i had a great time just finding as many DSO's as possible. Very rewarding.

From the garden visuals take a back seat to imaging. With so few clear nights, i really do not want to waste any imaging opportunities trying to observe from average skies. Although while the camera is working I will tour the sky with the binoculars.

Russ

I am really interested in the imaging side of things and plan to continue to go that way but direct observation is also wonderful esp if you do some drawing which must help you atune your eyes to what you are seeing. A lot cheaper too :laugh:

Martin

Imaging does give you a fantastic record of what you have located.

I think most of the guys here enjoy visual observing as much as imaging.

I spend alot of time at the eyepiece with a pen paper & a stopwatch but I also enjoy just taking in the view.

I sketch the doubles I observe. Although Sketching is a rather strong word for it as it entails putting several dots in a 6cm circle.

Cheers

Ian

Hi folks, whilst I was enjoying all these fantastic digital images I got to wondering does anybody actually observe the night sky now? Don't get me wrong, all this new technology is making it much easier for us armatures to record, in fine detail all them faint deep sky objects but how many of us actually take time out to view and enjoy just what it is that we are looking at! I guess I'm from the 'old school' and to me there is no greater buzz than locating an object and observing it for a period of time and when possible drawing and recording my observations in my log. Just wondering thats all :laugh: Best wishes and clear Sky's

Hi there,

Yes. In answer to your question. I'm first and foremost a visual observer, and even though I'm buying a webcam to planet image.. this will not take over my hobby. You are indeed so right with regard to the 'Buzz' comment!!

Regards

Rob

:laugh:

Hi folks, whilst I was enjoying all these fantastic digital images I got to wondering does anybody actually observe the night sky now? Don't get me wrong, all this new technology is making it much easier for us armatures to record, in fine detail all them faint deep sky objects but how many of us actually take time out to view and enjoy just what it is that we are looking at! I guess I'm from the 'old school' and to me there is no greater buzz than locating an object and observing it for a period of time and when possible drawing and recording my observations in my log. Just wondering thats all :laugh: Best wishes and clear Sky's

Yup. Here I am, another old fart dedicated visual observer. I figure if I can't see it myself, I can always dial up a Hubble image. I'm only interested in seeing it myself.

I seem to view while I'm locating and seting up on a target then image it and while I'm taking exposures use the time to view using binoculars, comes in useful for deciding where to put the scope to next and also for leaning my way about the sky as it's all still a mystery to me :laugh:, plus I think there's something magical about low power views, really gives a sense of scale.

Alan

Visual only , There's nothing like sitting at a dark skies looking through a scope wondering where it all came about and does it ever end the night skies in all it's glory is a sight to behold and a very humbling experience i would encourage every one to go out and try it.

Tom.

Aha but... what do all the visual observers do on cloudy nights. Imagers can spend there time processing their newly captured images and gain a deeper insight into what is out there.

Suppose non imagers have to spend time with their families, go out to the theatre, get down to the gym :laugh:

Martin

Aha but... what do all the visual observers do on cloudy nights. Imagers can spend there time processing their newly captured images and gain a deeper insight into what is out there.

Suppose non imagers have to spend time with their families, go out to the theatre, get down to the gym :laugh:

Martin

Gym! what gym?

Pub, now your talking.

nabban

I'm only into imaging... I have one EP - the only time I spend at the EP is finding the right area of sky. Then I swap over to the camera and start with 15 - 20 second shots to frame and focus the camera - then I leave the camera to it, tell the laptop what I want the camera to do and go inside and warm up...

The only exception to this is what I call special events... lunar eclipses, metoer showers etc etc... then it's a bit of both.

Ant

Archived