SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick bino session

rockystar

Lovely evening last night, looked really clear and still, but it was already gone 11 and still not dark, so i just sat out for a while with the binocular.

Jupiter - 3 moons on the left; researched showed that Io was on the right, but possibly too close for the binocular.

M13 - looking like a nice bright fuzzy.

My usual trick is just to scan the sky and look at star fields and try to find asterisms so I didn't really have a plan. nipped back inside to get S@N mag out and check out the bino guide and with that found:
M12 - not as bright as M13, but still pretty obvious, didn't see M10
 (looked on Stellarium later, I could have gone over to the Summer Beehive from here; lack of prep!)

From here I just had a look around Lyra and Cygnus:
 Double double easily split, Delta Lyr lovely blue and gold.

So just a quick session recorded here for prosterity.

After wrapping up, and getting ready for bed, my little boy (4) woke up - after settling him and staying for a while, he realised that it was dark and asked if he could look at the stars, so we spent 5 minutes at his (south facing) window - I pointed out Jupiter and he got excited that he'd "found" a planet.

Archived