SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galactic Center using only a DSLR

MarsG76

Hi All,

Sharing with you my latest pic, it's been a while since I was imaging since I have been stuck at the eyepiece for the last few outings... and my imaging gear won't see light until my obsy, aka modified shed, is complete.

During a particularly clear and transparent night, just after packing up my Dob, I took out the DSLR and grabbed a few subs of the Galactic center in Sagittarius... At the top right is Scorpio stinger, center frame is Sagittarius and bright "star" far left middle frame is Saturn.

Few nebulae are visible in the exposure, Lagoon, Trifid and the Cats Paw...

Taken using just the unmodded Canon 7D with a 24-105mm lens set at 24mm (no scope) for 6 minutes, 18 x 20sec ISO6400 Subs... I thought it turned out not bad from my backyard for a last minute quickie after packing up.

Clear skies,

Mariusz

Sagittarius Wide 1May2017.JPG

Great image. I envy you all. 'Up' here the only targets you can catch at night are bugs. No darkness until end August. So, keep those pretty pictures coming.

On 27 May 2017 at 01:15, darknight said:

very nice, lovely contrast

I'm surprised how much can be captured in a last minute quickie.

On 27 May 2017 at 01:28, wimvb said:

Great image. I envy you all. 'Up' here the only targets you can catch at night are bugs. No darkness until end August. So, keep those pretty pictures coming.

I bet you get to see Aurora... Something I can never how to see from my location...

Nice one, MarsG!  Galactic central is too low on the southern horizon, plus I've got a town 6 miles to the south that lights up the southern sky. So no point in my imaging it. But I'm glad you can. Enjoy it! 

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I bet you get to see Aurora... Something I can never how to see from my location...

Yes, but unfortunately not during summer.

I like the aurora when it is strong, but it if only shows up in images as a weak veil, it is a nuisance.

Still, the lack of dark nights during may - august is compensated for during the dark winter months.

On 29 May 2017 at 01:38, Ouroboros said:

Nice one, MarsG!  Galactic central is too low on the southern horizon, plus I've got a town 6 miles to the south that lights up the southern sky. So no point in my imaging it. But I'm glad you can. Enjoy it! 

You might miss out on the galactic center but you have other celestial beauties up there that we don't see  from down under.

On 29 May 2017 at 04:29, wimvb said:

Yes, but unfortunately not during summer.

I like the aurora when it is strong, but it if only shows up in images as a weak veil, it is a nuisance.

Still, the lack of dark nights during may - august is compensated for during the dark winter months.

Sounds like it's like with the moon... When you see it for the first time, it's a wow experience, but with time it becomes a nuisance when trying to image or observe the deep sky.

Still like you said... The long dark winter nights compensate for it.

Archived