Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Twilight joy (variable star observing during the northern summer)

Late May and Sun barely 9.8 degrees below horizon at midnight, with attending twilight on top of the light pollution. Hopeless? Not at all!

It was clear and calm, and with staggering +8°C it was mandatory to get out. Stars up to mag 3 were visible with effortless naked eye, mag 4 with a bit of effort. Picked my 15x70 binos and sat in the garden. Spotted R CrB and could estimate it at mag 7.6. The mag 7.4 star to the west was very clear, as was the 8.1. one to the west of comp 7.4.

Missed R Leo behind the forest and looked in vain for comet C/2015 V2 Johnson, but M13 and Y CVn provided additional joys in this balmy summer night.

Clearly, one can observe interesting (and bright) variable stars even in the midst of northern summer twilight. A joy I will make sure to appreciate often this summer.

Cheers!

The bugs have awakened here and the Sun refuses to sink to decent altitudes below the horizon. Last night it was only 9.2° below horizon at midnight. In this bright civil darkness, nautical twilight, and amidst some stubborn high altitude clouds, I was able to spot the long period variable star R Serpentis with 15x70 binocular. I estimated it at mag 7.7 ± 0.2. A simple, short and unpretentious session. Not bad for being 27 May at 60°N!

• DHEB changed the title to Twilight joy (variable star observing during the northern summer)

Archived