Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Good & Bad

mikeDnight

Attached is a sketch of Jupiter that I made on the 22/5/17 under very poor seeing conditions. This was a sketch that was never going to be posted, but ive  changed my mind as it illustrates how much the seeing can influence the detail seen. The detail in the first sketch was very difficult to obtain! In the second two sketches, both from 24/5/17, the seeing was simply stunning! Again, the detail was difficult to draw but for a different reason, "There was simply too much of it!" Jupiter rotates at such speed that an observer has roughly ten minutes to record the view before the scene changes and features are displaced. The two sketches from last night's observations really don't do the real life view justice. The GRS was well placed and a wealth of detail followed in its wake along the SEB. The NEB was strewn with festoon and garlands. The drawings are pretty self explanatory so I'll shut up now!

Thanks for looking! :icon_biggrin:

Mike

2017-05-23 18.02.00.jpg

2017-05-25 09.18.18.jpg

A very nice demonstration of the effects of seeing conditions Mike. On the few cloudless nights recently the seeing has been very poor here and I have been limited to widefield sketches basically just showing the positions of the Moon's.

• 3 weeks later...

HI  MIKE     great drawings as per usual, especially good on may 24th, i  also observed the GRS on the same night around the same time with a 155mm f9 APO, a sequence of three consecutive nights (must be a record) studying the red planet under varying seeing conditions. YES, what a difference good seeing makes. In poor conditions it is not worth me using the 155mm but instead i make use of my 130mm f6 APO  using x100. I have posted three  recent sketches of the planet using coloured pencils, (my first attempt at colour renditions) not as accurate as yours but it does give a rough impression of a fine sight.    Best Wishes      Chris.  

S1000012.JPG

S1000010.JPG

S1000011.JPG

22 hours ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

HI  MIKE     great drawings as per usual, especially good on may 24th, i  also observed the GRS on the same night around the same time with a 155mm f9 APO, a sequence of three consecutive nights (must be a record) studying the red planet under varying seeing conditions. YES, what a difference good seeing makes. In poor conditions it is not worth me using the 155mm but instead i make use of my 130mm f6 APO  using x100. I have posted three  recent sketches of the planet using coloured pencils, (my first attempt at colour renditions) not as accurate as yours but it does give a rough impression of a fine sight.    Best Wishes      Chris.  

S1000012.JPG

S1000010.JPG

S1000011.JPG

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm very impressed by your sketches and your use of colour. I haven't made a colour sketch for a while,  so may be I should dust off the colour pencils and give it a go instead of the drab monochrome. Amazingly the 100mm scope I use shows surprisingly impressive true colour views considering its small aperture. I'm glad you've posted your sketches and hope you'll post many more in the future. They are a great inspiration! :icon_biggrin:

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:40, BRADLEY 1953 said:

S1000012.JPG

S1000010.JPG

S1000011.JPG

Excellent drawings Chris and great use of colour.  I'm pleased you managed to post them - did you find the card reader?  All the best, Paul

Archived