Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova Hunting for Free

WhiteHole2

Just wanted to point out: the inew supernova (Type II, pop I) SN 2017eaw in NGC 6946, the 13th magnitude SN, presently just past peak could have been discovered with a 50mm lens, on a DSLR, on a normal photo tripod.

My 300mm takes me to 16th magnitude from relativeley light polluted skies. Exposures of just over 1s, stacked to say 10 minutes.

This pulls in SN out to greater than 100 million light years. Virgo cluster is 45 (ish) million lys!

The image shows SN 2017eaw from a couple of nights ago. 12.9nv. Simple, undriven tripod. Most people can do this. NO TELESCOPE NEEDED!

There are 1000s of galaxies that observers can discover SN with a short tele lens.

This means that the universe of supernova discovery is free, to all!

And good luck!

SN_NGC6946_22May17_st_01h38m_BST_00h38m_UT_300mm_lens_13m43s_exp_stack_3200ISO_PS2_FS2_id.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting and thanks for sharing.  What you say is true, and the camera could capture those SN.  However, most people, myself included, would struggle to tell the the SN from a star.  So I think it is questionable if people could "discover" supernova with that limited gear, although I agree, they could head in that direction and see if they could capture one with the knowledge that is is actually there,

Archived