SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone in Staffordshire interested in meeting up at a Dark Site over the next few days?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested sometime in the future probably towards Autumn on Cannock Chase, just needs to be careful of the Doggers, I'd like to try and get some good images of the MW heading towards my home. The Doggers can get a little upset if you produce a telescope or camera aimed at them!!!

I'd also be interested when the nights are longer. I'm putting together an imaging rig with camera lens for dark site trips. So would be good to use for some LRGB.

I've been to this location in Shropshire a few times:

https://goo.gl/maps/KKrgtsdiRzp

It's a bit further West, but gets shielded from the light domes to the East by the Long Mynd. There is only a very small amount of LP low to the horizon. It has a few trees, but other than that the views are pretty much unhindered. I've had some excellent DSO views with the Dob from here.

I've not had any other cars park up. A few pass by but they head up to the Stiperstones nature reserve.

Another option would be to try and get access to some privately owned land.

Andy.

On 2017-6-24 at 22:20, Andyb90 said:

I'd also be interested when the nights are longer. I'm putting together an imaging rig with camera lens for dark site trips. So would be good to use for some LRGB.

I've been to this location in Shropshire a few times:

https://goo.gl/maps/KKrgtsdiRzp

It's a bit further West, but gets shielded from the light domes to the East by the Long Mynd. There is only a very small amount of LP low to the horizon. It has a few trees, but other than that the views are pretty much unhindered. I've had some excellent DSO views with the Dob from here.

I've not had any other cars park up. A few pass by but they head up to the Stiperstones nature reserve.

Another option would be to try and get access to some privately owned land.

Andy.

I live in Welshpool and I'm always looking for a better dark site than my current one.  It's about 20 mins I think from my house to the area you've linked to.  Do you have much trouble from the 'canine' fraternity or anybody for that reason ?

Ally

2 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

We meet up here ,

http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/ forestry site. In clear skies , M33 visible by eye. All welcome,

Nick.

Even imagers, I trust? :laugh:

I always wondered how you got such great views from Swad! A friend of my daughter lives in Coton and he says the night skies are brilliant.

I have contacted head ranger at Cannock Chase before and all he wanted was an email saying we were going , he used to use a scope and knows of our problems in finding a good spot to use, there are lots of parking areas some away from the roads 

I would suggest a group of us and block off the entrance to a car park area, who are the doggers going to complain to?. The sky is not very good there but its better than my back garden.

I think if we could show the authorities  we were responsible  folk there are spots that are beyond locked gates we might be able to get to in the future.

I'd be interested in doing some observing with anyone in this area. I live in Brownhills and either rosliston or Cannock chase are better than my back garden as well. Post on SGL if any plans develop and I'll happily tag along.

On 2017-6-26 at 08:58, Ally8446 said:

I live in Welshpool and I'm always looking for a better dark site than my current one.  It's about 20 mins I think from my house to the area you've linked to.  Do you have much trouble from the 'canine' fraternity or anybody for that reason ?

Ally

I've been to the site about half a dozen times and not had any trouble. A van pulled onto the carpark the one time, but it was just a couple of people who had finished some building work nearby. They said they'd never seen so many stars before. :smiley:

Andy.

21 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I've been to the site about half a dozen times and not had any trouble. A van pulled onto the carpark the one time, but it was just a couple of people who had finished some building work nearby. They said they'd never seen so many stars before. :smiley:

Andy.

Is this the place Andy ?

Screenshot_2017-06-28-18-29-07.png

On 2017-6-28 at 19:43, Andyb90 said:

Yep that's the one. The Bog visitor centre is the building on the bottom left.

Andy.

If you're happy to,  give me a shout next time you're up there and if possible I'll join you.

Ally

On 2017-6-29 at 20:08, Ally8446 said:

If you're happy to,  give me a shout next time you're up there and if possible I'll join you.

Ally

Yes, sure. Will wait for the nights to draw out a bit more and let you know. I try to go on spec if I can and have started to look at satellite data to try and reduce the risk of getting clouded out.

Andy.

32 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Yes, sure. Will wait for the nights to draw out a bit more and let you know. I try to go on spec if I can and have started to look at satellite data to try and reduce the risk of getting clouded out.

Andy.

Totally agree Andy,  living where we do, we have to grab the opportunities when they present themselves.  With a few hours notice I would be there like a shot. I imagine it's pretty dark. 

Hopefully see you soon

Ally

Sparchford is a decent site - we've used it before from Walsall Astro Society. Best off season when it's quieter and stick to the 2nd field round the back of the hedge (you can usually throw electric hookup cables over the hedge if you need power) as I remember the toilet block lights are less of a bother and it's pretty much south facing.

hey Trikeflyer I'm in Brownhills too - are you a member of Walsall Astro Society?

On 03/07/2017 at 09:57, haitch said:

Sparchford is a decent site - we've used it before from Walsall Astro Society. Best off season when it's quieter and stick to the 2nd field round the back of the hedge (you can usually throw electric hookup cables over the hedge if you need power) as I remember the toilet block lights are less of a bother and it's pretty much south facing.

hey Trikeflyer I'm in Brownhills too - are you a member of Walsall Astro Society?

Do you know how much notice would need to be given for booking pitches in the off season?

Andy.

On 01/07/2017 at 12:02, Stub Mandrel said:

Might take a bit more notice for me, but I will try and get to any meet-ups that get flagged up in this thread.

Great, I'll definitely post in this thread. I tend to look a week or so ahead for potential clear nights and see how things progress.

Andy.

Archived