Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RGB Planetary workflow

Tommohawk

Hi all. Just moving over to mono planetary and not sure about workflow. I've used the search facility - honest - but still not 100% clear.

Milika and Nicholas's tutorial shows a workflow but I think this is an alternative to derotation of the AVI/Ser files if I understand it correctly.

Their method is:  

do 3 sets of 3 minute videos, RGB, RGB, RGB. Then I use AS!2 to produce 9 corresponding tifs/png files (same as OSC workflow)

Next use WJ Recording/Image measurement to produce 9 corresponding IMS files.

Then compound the 3 IMS files for each colour to give a single IMS file for each colour using WJ "derotation of images".

Next use WJ derotation of RGB frames to compile the final image from the  compounded R G and B IMS files.

But is this the "normal" method?

Alternatively I could produce separate RG and B images as follow:

Shoot RG and B AVIs, treat each one as though it were OSC, ie AS!2 for initial TIFF, then prodice IMS, then derotates, then restack in AS!2,

and then combine the resulating R G and B images in say PS?

And the original idea of doing 3 sets of 3min AVIs for each colour gives total span of 27 mins - isnt this going to cause alignment issues even if derotated?

Very grateful for any responses especially as clear sky forecast tonight!! Main thing is to get the data, so how many AVIs and what length?? With OSC I did 3- 5 mins quite sucessfully.

Hi Pete

OK thanks that v helpful. Couple of things if you dont mind..

IMPPG? I'm sure I should know that that is but dont recall!! What processing do you apply at this stage? wavelets etc? Is this just done to sharpen the image used to make the IMS file in WJ?

Also do you derotate the individual R G and B AVIs and combine the resulting TIFFs/PNGs in one operation in WJ? 

I use ImPPG for sharpening (and animation alignment)  http://greatattractor.github.io/imppg/  ImPPG performs Lucy-Richardson deconvolution, unsharp masking which I use on the stacked images from A/S2.

I don't derotate the video files (SER files in my case) I make an IMS file from the images from A/S2 for each channel, then when these are combined they are derotated as well. I believe you can derotate the whole video file as well then stack after, I have not tried this yet.

I am planning on taking some much longer Mono images using a 642 filter and might derotate these.

Brilliant OK thanks. Just had a quick go with RGB frame align on WJ IMS files and can see how it works. It's much quicker than derotating OSC SER files!

BTW do you alter the gain/exp per RGB channel to even out the histos, or do you keep settings the same? I didnt do Lum on my first effort but plan to do this later and am thinking same gain will give too high histo. Probably need to reduce the exp and will get faster fps I guess.

Had another very long go with this today and am now bit befuddled!

Still puzzled about a couple of things. My workflow is:

1. Shoot multiple RGB and L AVIs. 3 each, 12 total

2. Run all through PIPP

3. Run all through AS!2 to produce stacked TIFFs

4. Sharpen these in Registax

5. WJ to produce IMS for each stacked image.

6. WJ /Derotation of Images to combine the 12 respective R G B and L IMS files, which produces a new set of 4 IMS files and 4 PNG files.

BUT not sure if I can use the resulting 4 IMS files or if I have to go back and create new IMS files again from the PNG files? - that what Milika and Nicholas seem to say.

7. Then use derotation of RGB frames to compile the final image from the final 4 IMS files - although the IMS files are only 1KB so that seems odd??

Really grateful for any further advice - its doing my head in!

Archived