Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

widefield EP for 120ED

This might not happen due to cost, but i cant help thinking i i might get better views at lower power in the 120ED, i have the Revelation 2" 42mm, its okay and great value but not perfect, i am thinking maybe some thing around the 30mm to 35mm focal length, cost is an important factor so please dont start suggesting Televue or Pentax. budget would be around £75 so i would be happy to look to the used market.

Can i politely ask that we keep this thread strictly relevant to the eyepiece question, i am finding myself reluctant to post stuff like this in case it "goes downhill" 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SW Panaviews should work really nicely in the ED120, I had the 32mm with my 200p and it was great for the money.  Struggled a bit right at the edges but you had to look for it (at F6... should be better at F7.5).

I agree with Andrew, the 28mm Maxvision should be among the best for your price constrain, and to be used as general panning of the sky for star field, a good complement to the 42mm which should be good for large nebulae, the Veil, e.g. where with OIII filter, the edge aberrations will not be much distractive.

I second or third the Maxvision 28mm, I think they are £98 at FLO, or you can probably pick one up second hand for £70. 

Or the wild card which is the 25mm Vixen SLV, only 50 degrees admittedly, but with Pentax quality for £79 in the sale new :)  

1 minute ago, Fozzie said:

Theres a 30mm 80deg moonfish clone on ABS now for £49.. in york too... worth a go?

I had a moonfish clone some years ago, i did not rate it as high as i would have liked

I'm not real sure what exactly would be best for that particular scope but I have an older Stellarvue AT1010 that's an 80mm and when I want really WF i'll use a Celestron 2" diagonal and a 2" Stellarvue Plossi 32mm I bought at discontinued price a few years ago . But when I use a 1.25" I use a 2x barlow and a 32mm  Celestron Plossi . Actually the 2x barlow which is a Ultima Celestron and a Celestron Ultima 18mm gives me very good views but not as WF as my 32mm . A good place to look for the Ultimas is at  www.astromart.com . Seen them at prices cheaper than you mentioned . But when I bought them they were $79.00 each .

Until recently I had a 24mm 68 degree Maxvision and I used it several times with my ED120. It was very good indeed and certainly seemed sharp to the edge to my eyes so one of the 2" Maxvisions would be worth considering. The Aero ED's (or clones) are also pretty good at this focal ratio (better than Panaviews IMHO) and should be well within budget if bought used (typically £45-£50).

Plenty of food for thought, i wont rush into getting a new ep, skies are not really getting dark till late but in a month couple of months i will look at getting some thing, and of course keep an eye on the classifieds

35 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I had a moonfish clone some years ago, i did not rate it as high as i would have liked

Agreed.  I have a version of this eyepiece as well.  It is fine in the inner 50%, but then it falls apart with ever increasing astigmatism toward the edge.  If you can swing it, find a 40mm Maxvision.  I have the 40mm Meade SWA version, and it is sharp to the edge at f/6.

I use the Panaview 38mm in my 120ed for wide field views although its been awhile since I've got this scope out due to lack of clear nights here. I've been useing  my 90 mak for quick grab n go sessions instead.

Avtar

3 hours ago, andrew63 said:

You could get a maxvision 28mm for around that price - which would be a fine wide field for that scope Jules - right to the very edge.

andrew

+1 for the ES28 68. A big EP but great value and excellent optics. The 34mm is just as good, but even bigger.

Dave

11 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Plenty of food for thought, i wont rush into getting a new ep, skies are not really getting dark till late but in a month couple of months i will look at getting some thing, and of course keep an eye on the classifieds

Jules, I have 68* Maxvisions in 40mm, 28mm and 20mm. As others have said, they are great. Susie and I enjoy the vistas yielded in our ED80. 

However, today I'm heading to Merseyside to collect a 14" Dob and a few other bits including an ES82* eyepiece from @Daniel-K We're going to give the Maxvisions a run for their money in the 14", but I'm led to believe the ES82* range may be better suited in the long run. 

If you're in no hurry I'd happily inform you if the Maxvisions do end up seeking a new home. 

They're about 4 months old. Bought new from Bresser...

Simon

6 hours ago, Racey said:

Jules, I have 68* Maxvisions in 40mm, 28mm and 20mm. As others have said, they are great. Susie and I enjoy the vistas yielded in our ED80. 

However, today I'm heading to Merseyside to collect a 14" Dob and a few other bits including an ES82* eyepiece from @Daniel-K We're going to give the Maxvisions a run for their money in the 14", but I'm led to believe the ES82* range may be better suited in the long run. 

If you're in no hurry I'd happily inform you if the Maxvisions do end up seeking a new home. 

They're about 4 months old. Bought new from Bresser...

Simon

Simon, please keep me in the loop regards the 68* maxvision, though i would only be interested in one

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Simon, please keep me in the loop regards the 68* maxvision, though i would only be interested in one

I certainly will Jules. No problem. :thumbsup:

Another +1 for the 28mm 68 Maxvision.  I've not used mine a huge amount but it provides a really nice view with a refractor and was very well corrected with my f/5 120ST.  With my dob it shows some coma to be expected but the optics certainly seem exceptional for the price.

I think if you have significant LP you're better off with the extra power rather than really low power such as in the 35+ focal length region to give you better contrast against the LP.

Hi Jules, for known reasons, I'm a bit late on this one. I can vouch for the Maxvision. I had the 28mm version of it in Meade colours (the hand grenade?) but I sold that a couple of weeks ago. I also have the 35mm "Rigel" which as far as I know is a SW Aero clone and very good IMHO. If something doesn't come along in the mean time, you are welcome to borrow it and see what you think. Another thought, as someone has already said, is the SW Panaview (32mm@£74) reputedly not so clever at F5 but should be OK at F7.5)

ENS has the Rigel here:   (though not so much cheaper than the SW Aero)

https://ensoptical.co.uk/index.php?_route_=rigel-30mm-skyrover-2-inch-wide-angle-eyepiece

Well, with my ED120 I loved a certain 31mm/82deg eyepiece which shall remain nameless as its identity may not be conducive to desired results.  :rolleyes2:

Alternatively, you would be welcome to one of my two ES 24/68 if that should fit your bill; I'm assuming it's shorter than you seek but for what it's worth.

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Well, with my ED120 I loved a certain 31mm/82deg eyepiece which shall remain nameless as its identity may not be conducive to desired results.  :rolleyes2:

Alternatively, you would be welcome to one of my two ES 24/68 if that should fit your bill; I'm assuming it's shorter than you seek but for what it's worth.

Treading carefully, with the "nameless" EP, i think at present the ES 68* 28mm is looking ideal

Archived