Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher 0.85 focal reducer any good

In short: Yes it's good. It screws straight onto the drawtube of the focuser and leaves enough back focus to fit filter wheel and camera. Or a DSLR straight onto it without filter wheel.

/Jessun

1 hour ago, iwols said:

hi all just wondered if anyone had any comments on this reducer on an ed80 ds pro and where does it sit in the scope /filter wheel/ccd chain thanks

Hi. Yes, it does its job extremely well, considering the cost of the scope & of the reducer. 

As said above already, it screws directly to the focuser tube (extremely strong bond) and can easily hold anything you attach behind it (i've currently got an Atik EFW2 & Atik 460ex hanging from it without issues). The stock ED 80 focuser tough might need a bit tightening, but maybe you've already done that.

The sharpness in the corners with this reducer is superb (assuming you get the spacing right) and massively more you could expect for the price in my opinion. (check out my signature for example images)

Kind regards, Graem

I'm dropping off a Pdf. entitled: "Focal-Reduction for Dummies." While it is written around the MallinCam-line of video-cams, the principles explained in it remain constant regardless of what you intend the use of focal-reducers for. It's well written & illustrated, and I think it may give you (or anyone) a good understanding of how to employ these things.

Enjoy!

Dave

Focal Reduction For Dummies.pdf

Archived