Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keeping gear within reach

westmarch

Every time I need something - eyepiece, star map, etc. - it's either just out of reach or swinging the dob around knocks over the gear table.

I've just cannibalised a folding chair to make a table that moves with the mount. It clips to the turntable with some pipe saddles. 

John

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

That's neat, as a possible adaptation I might be tempted to put a anti-slip mat on the suface, and maybe a couple of rubber door stops to stop your box of expensive EP's from falling off if you accidentally nudge them

Edit:  just spotted little ledge in the second and third pictures

6 hours ago, JOC said:

That's neat, as a possible adaptation I might be tempted to put a anti-slip mat on the suface, and maybe a couple of rubber door stops to stop your box of expensive EP's from falling off if you accidentally nudge them

Edit:  just spotted little ledge in the second and third pictures

It's a fair point though!  I think I have some anti-slip mat - belt and braces, eh! :icon_biggrin:

John

22 minutes ago, westmarch said:

belt and braces, eh!

If you are into belt and braces have you checked that the weight of the box lid won't pull the box over backwards if you take out some of the heavy EP's?  I've noticed that mine gets a little backwardly heavy when I take the weight out of the box.

15 hours ago, westmarch said:

Thanks for that.   I've tried pushing it to simulate wind and it seems stable even when all the eyepieces are removed.

John

That's good to know. I'm going to attemot to build something similar the weekend, if I can find something in the garage that I can use.

59 minutes ago, Rollageyder said:

That's good to know. I'm going to attemot to build something similar the weekend, if I can find something in the garage that I can use.

Good Luck!  I'm off to the Yorkshire Moors tonight to try it out.

John

22 hours ago, Rollageyder said:

Thanks. I'd be interested to hear how it works in the field.

Worked a dream!  I also added a removable lecturn to hold my iPad/Sky Atlas. My table is now just for my flask and biscuits. :icon_biggrin:

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

On 5/25/2017 at 12:02, westmarch said:

Worked a dream!  I also added a removable lecturn to hold my iPad/Sky Atlas. My table is now just for my flask and biscuits. :icon_biggrin:

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing the results with me and I appreciate the photos. It gives me a good idea of what I need to achieve.

Archived