Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How early can you pick Jupiter up?

Stu

I guessing this might be possible for someone with Goto pre aligned or a lot of patience scanning for it???

6.45pm for a double shadow transit plus Io and GRS..... at 21 degrees altitude.

Maybe not possible but someone give it a go please :) 

IMG_2101.PNG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So from this question can I assume that providing you have a means to identify where they should be that it is possible to view distant objects like planets during the day just as you can the moon?

19 minutes ago, JOC said:

So from this question can I assume that providing you have a means to identify where they should be that it is possible to view distant objects like planets during the day just as you can the moon?

Yep, certainly you can.

I once picked up Jupiter at around 2pm and tracked it all the way through until darkness. The trick was leaving my mount parked but with the position saved so it could goto the right area. I think I still needed to pan around a little to get it in the Finder but managed ok. I was using a 6" f9 apo frac at the time but it is quite possible with other kit.

You can actually see Jupiter with the naked eye particularly later in the day, it's mainly a matter of getting your eyes focused properly, once you've seen it, it becomes much easier to find again.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I once picked up Jupiter at around 2pm and tracked it all the way through until darkness

Amazing.  Earlier in the year I thought I'd seen some references to people finding Venus during the day, but had discounted this as me reading things wrong.  Obviously not.  In the evening I have been seeing Jupiter far earlier than the other 'stars' but I've been putting this down to its sheer brightness and size, but this has still been during the more twilight/dusk type conditions - so already getting dark.  I didn't expect so many objects to be potentially 'findable' during the day, so that's really interesting information.

I've read about observers viewing the planets in broad daylight and I've done it with Jupiter and Venus myself but, not being a GOTO user, finding them is a matter of working out roughly what part of the sky the target is in and then sweeping with a low power eyepiece using the main scope as the finder.

3 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Here in the Aegean, we're two hours ahead, so I may well have Moose out to have a go, holiday obligations permitting.

:icon_biggrin:

You know it makes sense Mike. I'm sure a cold beer could be made available to help :) 

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

All looks good, but where is the Ouzo? :) 

Any luck yet?

Stu, this has been a particularly heavy gauntlet you so casually threw down - and a lot of fun, so thanks for the heads up!

At 20:30 I finally spotted Jove with the DIY widefield binoculars, about 10 minutes before it winked into naked eye view, so I got aimed up and went to 103x.

I used SkySafari for hints, very useful.

At first, Io's shadow was the only special feature I could see, a clear bullet hole in the NEB. The GRS was very faint, barely visible but ever more so as it got darker. Can't confirm Europa's shadow, nor Io's presence in front of the planet, until it poked out into the surrounding darkness, right on schedule.

I did switch to 144x at one point, but that wasn't giving me any more, so back to 103x, my thinking being that I would see most by observing during longer drifts across the wider field. I am satisfied this is the best we could do at the time.

At the moment, the space between Io and Jupiter increases, the bullet hole nears the edge and the Spot gains in nice, juicy color.

Fun.

:happy11:

Thanks again.

Nice one! Glad you at least caught the Io shadow. SkySafari shows the Europa shadow as smaller so perhaps that was just too much of a challenge.

Thank you for picking up the casually laid down gauntlet ;) 

Nice report Mike :icon_biggrin:

Half a bottle of Ouzo and you would have spotted the giant planet 30 mins earlier. Drink the other half and you start to see the giant rabbit ...... :drunken_smilie:

4 minutes ago, John said:

Nice report Mike :icon_biggrin:

Half a bottle of Ouzo and you would have spotted the giant planet 30 mins earlier. Drink the other half and you start to see the giant rabbit ...... :drunken_smilie:

Thanks - I assure you all that I was rested, sober, fed and hydrated - though I may have a celebratory beverage later on.

I suppose it would come down to the nutter with the 60mm on a birding mount and photo tripod to actually try to observe Jupiter before dusk. I think we did well.

:icon_biggrin:

21:12 hrs here, lots of light still in the sky. I've just managed to pick Jupiter up with my 30mm finder and it's in the FoV of the ED120 at 180x right now. GRS showing quite nicely :smiley:

PS: It's not visible to the eye yet, at least not my eye.

Where did Jove go ???? :dontknow:

Just popped outside again after watching some of the Horizon programme on solar system volcanoes and the planet has done a vanishing act along with all the stars.

Darn this hazy cloud stuff :rolleyes2:

4 minutes ago, John said:

Where did Jove go ???? :dontknow:

Just popped outside again after watching some of the Horizon programme on solar system volcanoes and the planet has done a vanishing act along with all the stars.

Darn this hazy cloud stuff :rolleyes2:

That's annoying John! Still shining brightly here, but no scope for me tonight. Club night on Thursday so hopefully clear then too.

EDIT Is that you hiding under the cloudy bit?

DOUBLE EDIT That was earlier, I had crept up a bit since then!

IMG_2119.PNG

Just had a squint at Jupiter using the 152 + 6mm Ethos skies a bit murky but not too bad, would have used the SCT but it's set up for imaging Comet Johnson if it stays clearish.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's annoying John! Still shining brightly here, but no scope for me tonight. Club night on Thursday so hopefully clear then too.

EDIT Is that you hiding under the cloudy bit?

DOUBLE EDIT That was earlier, I had crept up a bit since then!

IMG_2119.PNG

It's shining up there again now. Must have been a rogue chunk of cloud.

Looks like my current clear patch won't last though, judging by the aerial photo and assuming that the white stuff over Cornwall, Devon and Wales is moving eastwards.

Archived