Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6 pane mosaic with DMK21 - join lines visible

tooth_dr

It's fair to say that solar imaging is tricky, and processing even more so.  I put off processing this for two weeks because despite watching tutorials, nothing seems to work out quite right!

Anyways here it is, 6 panes 2x barlow, DMK21, forgot to take a flat (truth is I dont know how to process it in registax)

Thanks for looking.  Any advice, pointers etc welcome, to get the most out this beautiful scope (Lunt 60mm PT)

070517_Panorama1.jpg

070517_Inverted_Panorama.jpg

A decent looking mosaic with plenty of detail visible. I take a flat using Firecapture, this applied during the video capture and certainly  helps a lot with, dust bunnies and uneven illumination.

Also what mosaic programme are you using?

Don't be put off.  This has happened to me and the rest of us solar junkies too I imagine.  If you are looking for feedback perhaps I can suggest you ease off the sharpening or curve stretching (I'm not sure what processing procedure you apply).  On my screen it looks a bit 'overcooked'.  During capture I always take a 70% histogram reading from the disk centre and then I don't change it no matter what the limb section read out is on the histo.  The other thing I am just about to remedy myself is uneven illumination on the panes most likely caused by tilt.  Regarding flats they are very useful for mosaics as Pete says above.

47 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

A decent looking mosaic with plenty of detail visible. I take a flat using Firecapture, this applied during the video capture and certainly  helps a lot with, dust bunnies and uneven illumination.

Also what mosaic programme are you using?

Thanks Pete. 

I used the automated mosaic processing in PS CS6.

20 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Don't be put off.  This has happened to me and the rest of us solar junkies too I imagine.  If you are looking for feedback perhaps I can suggest you ease off the sharpening or curve stretching (I'm not sure what processing procedure you apply).  On my screen it looks a bit 'overcooked'.  During capture I always take a 70% histogram reading from the disk centre and then I don't change it no matter what the limb section read out is on the histo.  The other thing I am just about to remedy myself is uneven illumination on the panes most likely caused by tilt.  Regarding flats they are very useful for mosaics as Pete says above.

Thanks for taking time to reply. I overdone the wavelets in registax. 

I used firecapture to record. I didn't know about histogram readings, and how to selectively check areas. I don't think I did 70% either.

Do I just defocus for flats? Same flat for all panes. Sorry for dumb questions.  

21 minutes ago, Helen said:

That's a nice start :hello2:  I never managed a decent mosaic!! which was why I needed to upgrade to a bigger chip...

Helen

Thanks Helen. I hope to get better at it! Plenty of good advice on here. The DMk is fantastic. It's autoguides for DSOs and captures great images of the sun. I'm very satisfied with it. 

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks for taking time to reply. I overdone the wavelets in registax. 

I used firecapture to record. I didn't know about histogram readings, and how to selectively check areas. I don't think I did 70% either.

Do I just defocus for flats? Same flat for all panes. Sorry for dumb questions.  

yes defocus set the histogram between 50-70% record flat and it will be applied during capture. I usually do 12 panes minimum for my mosaics which allows plenty of overlap as well. Autostitch and ICE are also very good stitching programmes.

Very nice first mosaic. I tend to use AutoStakkert to stack data and create a flat using defocus. I do not let FireCapture do the flat correction, but rather do this within AutoStitch (under image calibration). I would try stitching your panes in AutoStitch. This gives me by far the best results in H-alpha

I do sense the smaller the dimension of the matrix, the harder it
becomes? With 2x2, I get a great match between any two frames! :p

It is quite a challenge to match both intensities and fame gradients.
Like others (evidently!) I do mess with real / artificial flats. One final
rotation (to get it in the right orientation!) can "hide a few sins"? ;)

Something of an *admirer* of the Mosaics and their producers... :D 

Archived