Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I need help with stacking

I am a complete newbie when it comes to astrophotography and I thought the easiest way to start would be with a webcam! I've been reading various books on how to do it, got it all set up, took a great film of Jupiter, installed registax then realised my camera creates .mov files and registax isn't compatible with them. I've tried recording on my phone, using an iPhone and using the webcam on a Windows 10 PC and my MacBook Air. They all create .mov files!!!! I am at a loss as to what to do next! Are there any other stacking programmes that accept .mov files? The book I'm reading by Allan Hall mentions Sharp cap? I don't want any potentially dodgy file converting programmes, I'd rather just be able to upload the file as it is if possible. Any information would be gratefully received! 

59 minutes ago, ronin said:

Think most just use a conversion tool of some variety - probably the one you mention. Another option that MAY work is https://www.autostakkert.com/wp/ 

Similar to Registax in what it does jsut thinking it may handle that file type.Looked but cannot see mention of file types it is compatible with.

Autostakkert works only with .ser and uncompressed .avi out of the box, but if it has access to ffmpeg there is more support (even .mov). The best thing is to use PIPP with your planetary videos and have it produce .ser if you want to use Autostakkert, so you never have any problems, or .avi for Registax.

Archived