SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

scarp15

Prompted by Nick's recent and comprehensive compilation accounting for summer constellation targets, I would like to highlight two Proto-Planetary Nebula in Cygnus. Both I believe, provide a challenge and are included in my itinerary for late summer observing. 

Proto-Planetary Nebula are formed by a central star that emanates material to form two lobes and which are short lived.

M1-92 Minkowski's Footprint is located a little above Albireo. It will require high power, perhaps observed as a fuzzy oval which can be split as bi-polar lobes. It is fairly bright yet embedded within a dense star field. It is a viable target for small and medium size aperture, larger aperture however will reveal a little more structure within the two lobes. It is a reflection nebula and will not require a filter and it is possible to detect a short spike off the northern patch. In the locality is Sh2-91, also known as The Little Veil, which I understand can be observed as a thin thread, aperture will greatly assist with this target and an OIII filter.   

CRL 2688 located much higher in Cygnus, also known as The Egg Nebula, is another PPN and it to is fairy bright, though will appear Stellar like until high power is reached.

Sh2-101 The Tulip Nebula,  an emission nebula often seen in images I am not sure if this is a credible visual target. 

Dark, transparent skies are essential for each of these objects. Has anyone had experience and accounts for observing any of these. Here is a borrowed sketch of Minkowski's Footprint.

http://www.deepskyforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=928&d=1381682430 

Very interesting. Might have a shot at those using my filter-switch diagonal, which allows rapid switching between O-II or UHC and no filter. PNs,  a late stage nova, and I assume PPNs "blink" when switching from no filter to O-III and back. More accurately, the star field dims much more than the (P)PN when the filter is inserted, which the eye interprets as the (P)PN brightening.

Archived