SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just How Much Have YOU Spent?

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't have any problems with folks spending whatever they can afford on their hobbies - better than blowing it on the horses or drinking it all...

I am a little worried that this topic may be offputting for people who want to get started in imaging who would find raising £500 a challenge. This doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, and it's important to make sure newcomers understand that even basic kit will give them photos they probably think could only be done by professional observatories or satellites.

an example then, just found Selling up for mount scope lenses etc.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/05/2017 at 00:12, tooth_dr said:

I enjoy tinkering with the scopes and building the observatory/shed as much as the actual astroimaging itself if that's allowed!

This very much applies to me too - there isn't a day that passes that I don't visit the observatory for a fettle here, an adjustment there or, to be honest, to simply look at, caress or fondle my hard fought for imaging system. I get as much pleasure from this aspect as I do from the actual imaging as there is always something to be done to fine tune the machine in readiness for that rare clear sky ...... Astronomy is a lot like sports car ownership - it isn't all about the driving!

Which reminds me, I must clean my focuser housing with a little silicone lubricant - I noticed a fingerprint on it this morning ...........

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

This very much applies to me too - there isn't a day that passes that I don't visit the observatory for a fettle here, an adjustment there or, to be honest, to simply look at, caress or fondle my hard fought for imaging system. I get as much pleasure from this aspect as I do from the actual imaging as there is always something to be done to fine tune the machine in readiness for that rare clear sky ...... Astronomy is a lot like sports car ownership - it isn't all about the driving!

Which reminds me, I must clean my focuser housing with a little silicone lubricant - I noticed a fingerprint on it this morning ...........

Just like my workshop, I like to sit in it and contemplate the possibility of tidying up.

3 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

Fingerprint now removed but it does beg the question 'how did it get there when I use an autofocuser?' - it is at times like this that I realise just how truly sad I am :icon_biggrin:

I'm glad that Astro is relatively low cost. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford drinking and horses!

I should rephrase that. Astro has very little in the way of ongoing costs. Unlike my golf habit which costs £120 per month in club subs before I even attempt to hit an expensive, but very easily lost, little ball. And, that is after spending a small fortune on bats and a dodgy wardrobe.

Paul

19 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

How much is one can?

Don't know which cans i need, trust or quality or patience? is there a can for happiness or satisfaction? 

That is much cheaper than the Green & Black version which promises largely similar results but in half the time!

I guess between £3K and £4k over the past four years... and rising!:icon_biggrin:

Currently into filters... why are they so expensive...

Money well spent though. Its absorbing and creative. Technically challenging for someone like me but I still get a real thrill when i produce a reasonable image.

I'm resisting going down the ccd route as it could easily go up to tens of thousands then!

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

I'm glad that Astro is relatively low cost. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford drinking and horses!

I should rephrase that. Astro has very little in the way of ongoing costs. Unlike my golf habit which costs £120 per month in club subs before I even attempt to hit an expensive, but very easily lost, little ball. And, that is after spending a small fortune on bats and a dodgy wardrobe.

Paul

Prior to this particular hobby, I used to try to keep up with IT related tech. That was costing much more a month for (not) a few years. Got bored, dumped it all.

This hobby; its an easier decision, have that decent bottle of wine with the family dinner, or put £10 a day aside. Then buy something at the end of the month or whatever.

Although the hobby leaves me less spare time now tho', I use it all trying to comprehend usage of various applications, and reviewing any images I have been fortunate to acquire ( very few and very poor).

Digressing, we were discussing cost in terms of £ rather than hrs.

PS we still have wine with our dinner :)

3 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

How much is one can?

Don't know which cans i need, trust or quality or patience? is there a can for happiness or satisfaction? 

I have no idea. I'm merely the bearer of the tin... :unsure:

As I recall, there were many options available.... :hello2:

And the Rolling Stones said, "I can't get no Satisfaction..."

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 12:35, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't have any problems with folks spending whatever they can afford on their hobbies - better than blowing it on the horses or drinking it all...

I am a little worried that this topic may be offputting for people who want to get started in imaging who would find raising £500 a challenge. This doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, and it's important to make sure newcomers understand that even basic kit will give them photos they probably think could only be done by professional observatories or satellites.

A really good point. The most basic DSLR is way more sensitive and flexible than the old 35mm film version, which is what I had when I first got into astrophotography.

Archived