Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old but gold mount... well vixen green actually!

Fozzie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A seriously solid mount!

You could lift one of those paving stones in your patio and erect a permanent steel pier. It would be cheaper than a tripod and much more solid!

My friend bought himself a Meade 127 triplet Apo a few years ago but couldn't afford a mount, so i loaned him a Vixen GP equatorial head to bolt to his pier. The scope was a hefty beast but the mount held it rock solid. Looking through the eyepiece and banging the side of the pier, you couldn't count to three before vibration damped out completely. It was very impressive! I was in no rush for the GP to be returned but my friend felt obligated, and so after buying a massive looking Meade equatorial to fit to his pier, he handed the little Vixen head back to me. Sadly, the Meade equatorial was without doubt the worst choice he could have made. It bounced without let-up and proved to be utterly useless. He soon sold it and replaced it with an EQ6, but he always regretted handing the Vixen GP back, especially as I sold it not long afterwards. Happily for me, I soon acquired another Vixen GP after regretting selling the first. I won't be selling this one, especially as they are no longer made! (They could become quite a collectible!)

Attached is a pic of my friend with his 127 Apo on an EQ6, taken shortly after he'd sold the Meade scrap iron mount. He doesn't look all that happy to me after making such a mistake. The EQ6 with its computer gadgetry wasn't what he wanted and he soon sold everything. Looking at the heavy 127 triplet in the pic and considering that a Vixen GP carried that scope flawlessly is testament to its excellent engineering!

Mike

58626435a25c0_2016-11-3021_27_02.jpg.d1318aa789ed3d79551be8bafb8d773d.jpg

23 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Thanks Jules.. hoping it will help with some more detailed lunar work and just general tracking objects..

The starwave f11 looks ideal on the vixen mount, a proper long achro, makes me think about the Bresser 102 F13, but i dont think i am allowed to change scopes any more:evil:

Pheeeeewwwweeeeeeee Jules can't believe you went there with that one... You just need a "gone fishing" sign up now, naughtiness!

So if the GP is rock solid with a 172mm apo it I'll do just fine with my 200p also.. Nice.

Ill admit that after a 2hour session last night I'm very happy with this mount.. Not the same experience I had with an eq5 at all..

I have the same mount carrying a 10" newt without any hassle... They're a great mount and i know i'm going to loathe parting with it when (finances permitting) i eventually upgrade.

You're absolutely right that the GP is a far better mount than an EQ5.

A pier....? Maybe one day, when we move somewhere with a bigger garden..  it's difficult to swing a cat (an actual cat, the meow type, not the one with a mirror in the back) in our current garden.. 

I'm made up how well this mount performes, considering it's age.. 

Now if I can get some lunar time, I can run it through it's paces at a lot more magnification through the camera and ep.

Ta

Fozzie 

Ps.. no cats were actually swung in my garden.... 

Archived