Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GRS and Ganymede shadow... right now

iPeace

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gone a bit too murky here, and the wind has really picked up. So we've packed in, no clear Saturn for us tonight but did some doubles in Scorpius, nothing very challenging but gave me a chance to cycle through the Naglers; Moose knows exactly what to do with each one. As well he might.

:happy11:

I caught the Io transit a little earlier and was able to observe the early stage until it became lost in the NEB. The seeing had been very good, a large festoon or barge in the NEB and what appeared to be a large white oval perhaps in the SEB.  Lots to observe but the seeing had deteriorated, though I will take another look for the shadow transit. 

2 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Horrendous seeing conditions.

As for Nelm :  A can see Spica - With averted vision, meaning Mag 1 skies.

Time to put away the Scope, season definitely over for me.

I was thinking the same earlier, for the whole of June in the UK.   

3 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Horrendous seeing conditions.

As for Nelm :  A can see Spica - With averted vision, meaning Mag 1 skies.

Time to put away the Scope, season definitely over for me.

Don't take my "like" the wrong way.

:rolleyes2:

Just now, iPeace said:

Don't take my "like" the wrong way.

:rolleyes2:

Dont worry, I'm not. :)

I was kinda hoping for some good planetary views late spring, early summer.

Tonite I ended up With some very brief moments of decent views of Jupiter at 96x.

Rune

2 minutes ago, Pondus said:

Dont worry, I'm not. :)

I was kinda hoping for some good planetary views late spring, early summer.

Tonite I ended up With some very brief moments of decent views of Jupiter at 96x.

Rune

Rune, I have a preference for around x90 for Jupiter, it so easy to dilute the features.  Its never been a high power target for me at all, I see more in smaller image scales, @ x75-85 mag. 

1 minute ago, jabeoo1 said:

Rune, I have a preference for around x90 for Jupiter, it so easy to dilute the features.  Its never been a high power target for me at all, I see more in smaller image scales, @ x75-85 mag. 

I can enjoy views of Jupiter With less than 100x, but my eyes  need  120-130x on Jupiter, to really pick up details (part from transits)

8 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Seeing actually better here than of late. Here's a couple of rough sketches done at the eyepiece.

Nice images Shane, you are right, I have seen some excellent definition within the steady seeing here in the UK this season.  GRS was so defined not long back, during one session even my Dad, with a bit of coaching, (he is not a lingerer at the E.P by the way, he has a preconception that astro photography arrives at the EP) conclusively told me he could make out the GRS.  This was a feat for him & me.  I think he is a Lunar enthusiast above all,  I showed him a Galaxy........he asked me to come and get him back out when I could see something 'good'.   I adore this hobby for these reasons.  Context is everything. 

Sorry for derailing the thread, & generally going on..............Bed time now :)    

I caught the Io and the shadow transit after the rain - excellent seeing, with the shadow an inky black dot at x150 (Baader Classic ortho, 10mm) and occasional views of Io itself as it moved over a darker area. Nearby Porrima showed near-perfect diffraction rings, so the seeing was 4.5 to 5.

Chris

Archived